Vaccuum pump on a 300Tdi - do I need it?

Jon White

Simple as that really - does it need to stay there???

My rangie has ABS, so theres no servo for it to power. So far as I can see it was only ever there to power something on the EGR, which I've already removed.

So am I right in thinking that it too can go?? Can some of the extra wiring etc go aswell then?

Cheers

Jon

Guest diesel_jim
Simple as that really - does it need to stay there???

My rangie has ABS, so theres no servo for it to power. So far as I can see it was only ever there to power something on the EGR, which I've already removed.

So am I right in thinking that it too can go?? Can some of the extra wiring etc go aswell then?

Cheers

Jon

The pump just runs off of a lobe on the cam, so it should be fine to remove.

the internaitonal 2.8 has a plate over tha position where the pump is on a 2.5 (LR) engine, so if you got one of those, or just a bit or plate cut to shape.

should do the trick,

Well this one doesnt have!!! Its on a 1995 softdash rangie, and it has an ABS pump and accumulator and a load of other complicated gubbins around where the servo would normally be!

I've just taken the engine out, and the only pipe coming off the vacuum pump appears to go round to where the EGR used to be!

Have to say I'm no expert when it comes to diesely things.......

thanks

Jon

The old RR ABS systems (the carp ones) decided that it was a better idea to have some sort of electric vac pump IIRC, and I guess that is what Jon's has. From the few I have seen they are usually the ones that go wrong and cost lots of money to fix so it may pay to file it carefully under the bench in case you want to fit a non ABS braking system at a later date... :)

Discovery ABS systems are better because it uses conventional engine generated brake vacuum and the ABS pump only kicks in when ABS-ing is needed, I think the RR electric system was a short blind alley in development terms.

No pics handy no - sorry!

As bogmonster says - this has an electric pump system that runs for a few seconds when you switch the ign on - my guess is charging itself!

Funnily enough I've been told its expensive to fix, so i was planning to squirrel the vaccuum pump away anyway for if i have to swap it to a more normal system!

Cheers

Jon