Static Arc mig / stick welder

Looking ok, could do with a slightly hotter arc though by the looks of it

Also if you've never welded before you would be better laying weld runs down on a piece of flat plate to get the hang of things, then go for butt welding 3mm plate and that will give you an idea others you're at with weld penetration regards Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Looking ok, could do with a slightly hotter arc though by the looks of it

Also if you've never welded before you would be better laying weld runs down on a piece of flat plate to get the hang of things, then go for butt welding 3mm plate and that will give you an idea others you're at with weld penetration regards Stephen

Yeah was just trying different things as i didn't have much in steel but yeah i will get more practice in 🙂

8 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Think it just has two light and dark but i haven't used it yet for welding.

The knob on the left hand side will vary the darkness, the range will be around the knob possibly 9-13, it may also have a grinding mode. regards Stephen

4 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Think it just has two light and dark but i haven't used it yet for welding.

Yes Son had ago and messed about with the knob and it does change the shade, its funny as when i used the mask that came with welder my face was red and i was tired buy after using the new one i was fine no red face or tiredness.

3 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Welding wire, got a couple of holes to cut out and weld in on son's Disco 2 chassis, a patch on a rear wheel arch as well as the front wheel arches to weld what size wire is best to do chassis work and body work please.

0.8 mm is a good application size, this is all I ever use with my mig regards Stephen

5 minutes ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Welding wire, got a couple of holes to cut out and weld in on son's Disco 2 chassis, a patch on a rear wheel arch as well as the front wheel arches to weld what size wire is best to do chassis work and body work please.

Some advice make sure area to be welded is clean otherwise you will find it very difficult to weld, with stick you could burn through rust up to a point but not advisable with mig regards Stephen 

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Some advice make sure area to be welded is clean otherwise you will find it very difficult to weld, with stick you could burn through rust up to a point but not advisable with mig regards Stephen 

Yeah we have used a flat disc and or wire brush and drill to remove paint and stuff 😉

Looking good , you do have a bit too much heat now , indicated by the undercut on the edges .

Next thing to look at is keeping a constant tip travel speed and a small even weave. 

The ripples in the bead should be more new moon shaped.

Very good progress 

Steve