300Tdi plus stubby bell housing

Hey all,

who has fitted a 300Tdi and a stubby bell housing to a Defender? I think it’s about 200mm 8” further back? Laying under mine I can’t see how it can go back that far?

btw I have the HS2.8 Tgv so not sure if turbo and outlet are in a different location/orientation?

It will put the 300Tdi engine further back to where the 200Tdi sat (also the earlier 4cyl petrol and diesel engines)

Engine sat between the footwells. However, the 300 Tdi had a different manifold/turbo setup than the Defender spec 200Tdi, and I have never fitted a 300 Tdi to a Defender in the earlier rearward position, so I dont know if the Turbo clears the footwells ?

300 into a series is a common conversion, so I guess it must fit ? Someone on here should know for sure.

I am not familiar with the TGV engine, so cannot comment on that. 

• Like 1

TGV turbo is in the same place as the tdi version, but it is a fair bit bigger diameter, and the exhaust exits straight towards the back of the car, rather than the 90 degree bend downwards from the front of the turbo as on the tdi.

ISTR the alternator also hangs a little further out horizontally than the tdi version, but not a huge amount, 25mm maybe, but that's probably not going to cause any issues.

300tdi.jpeg.27eae3132efa55f707ad9294678c70ae.jpeghs28ligged9.jpg.e118bcde4674c5839d2fb810d810aad8.jpg

Lots of scope for minor differences between TGV engines when it comes to Land Rovers, it depends what version it started life as, and what got swapped or chopped in the conversion.

Edited by TSD
Added pics
  • Like 1

Hi, 

I have a 300 on a lt77 and it should be about the same place as you are working on. It works perfect but the intet to the turbo uses a 180 degree bend which sit on top of the footwell. If the TGV has its exhaust in this direction you might be looking at a challenge... 🙂

/mads

Thanks guys

@TSD you nailed it with the turbo. The HS Tgv is rear facing exhaust. A 90 bend gets it pointing down like the 300Tdi but much further back. The Tgv alternator is also longer with the vacuum pump on the rear of it. 

It might be easier to just move my whole lot back 4 inches or whatever it can… can I be bothered 🤔🤪😬