300TDI engine code starting with S16L

Some early 200tdi engines had an S prefix in the engine number when the engine was supplied from Land Rover as an upgrade. Not seen or heard of it on a 300tdi though - considering your location, it could be to do with local country specification?

1 hour ago, Maverik said:

Some early 200tdi engines had an S prefix in the engine number when the engine was supplied from Land Rover as an upgrade. Not seen or heard of it on a 300tdi though - considering your location, it could be to do with local country specification?

Thanks Maverik. I've check with my local defender 300tdi owners, they either have 16L, 21L or 23L and nothing like S16L. Thanks for the insight on 200tdi engine

9 hours ago, western said:

My 200tdi was a genuine LR repower kit for pre Defender models it has a S prefix & IIRC some 300tdi repower kits were sold as well after 300tdi came on line. 

Good to hear that. Is there a way to key in the engine number and get the info that the engine is actually a genuine LR repower kit or service exchange engine ?

I've been trying to get this info from LR and they said information that I'm asking is internal information <_<

• 3 months later...
On 2/10/2022 at 4:50 PM, western said:

My 200tdi was a genuine LR repower kit for pre Defender models it has a S prefix & IIRC some 300tdi repower kits were sold as well after 300tdi came on line. 

Hi,

I am gathering information for a comming fight with the authorities about my retrofitted 300 tdi's...(got two) 

Have anybody any kind of info on the "repower kits" from Land Rover? Fitting instructions would be great but anything would help justify the enormous increase in power from a td 🙄🤣 may help to ease of the mot man... In lack of 300 tdi, I gues 200 tdi instructions would help aswell.

/mads

On 6/4/2022 at 5:40 PM, western said:

200tdi retro repower kit fitting info link at end of my reply in 

Never seen a 300tdi kit instructions

Now the Defender 200tdi instruction linked as a downloadable .pdf in Tech Arhive, Engine section.

Perfect! 

Thankyou very much. Atleast this kind of means that LR is okay with the power output (As long as the tires are ok apparently... 🙂)

I Hope my mot man sees it this way aswell...

/mads

• Like 1

Don't have an installation guide as it had to be dealer fitted to maintain the manufacturers warranty but I still have all the paperwork & invoice.

Date of completion was 1st Oct 2004 and the total cost was £6,656.83 (a not insignificant sum even today but imagine it 18-years ago!). My local dealer was quoting a lot more so I travelled down to the tip of Cornwall and had it done by a dealer there (did the return journey twice in 3-days).

• Like 1