VelocityAP remap on L494 SCV8

Naks

I was bored last week, so I ordered the VAP remap + supercharger pulley: Range Rover 5.0 AJ133 Supercharged ECU Tuning, Range Rover Full Size, Range Rover Sport & SVR – Velocity Automotive Performance

normal_vap.jpg

VAP's claimed figures, the one I'm getting is in bold:

Stock: 495 HP , 510 HP , 550 HP , 575 HP -> = 605 HP (with tune)

Stock: 495 HP , 510 HP , 550 HP , 575 HP -> = 620 HP (with upper pulley, and tune)

Stock: 495 HP , 510 HP , 550 HP , 575 HP -> = 645 HP (with upper and lower pulleys, and tune)

After a few communications issues and some back & forth, I received the remap unit last Thursday & the pulley a few days later.

I uploaded the remap to the car as soon as I got it and went for a 40km drive. First impression was disappointing: it didn't really change much in the car, felt just the same as the OEM map.

Then on the way back home I took a detour via a deserted road just outside of town, where I, let's say, drove enthusiastically... Holy image.gif.e7da82a1aafa7eb4baafe97ce5803a16.gif!!! Once you give it beans, it really comes alive, especially beyond 300rpm, where it feels like there's a second engine taking over, with a massive growl.

I did a couple of runs, and the responsiveness and the smooth power delivery is quite addictive. Overall, I would say this remap won't be noticeabled in 90% of normal driving, and only when you push it does it show itself.

This morning I spent a couple of hours at my mechanic and we installed the new pulley, which is 3mm smaller than the OEM one.

The installation of the pulley was pretty straightforward, although the OEM one took a bit of convincing to come off:

normal_20220308_090929~0.jpg

normal_20220308_101504.jpg

normal_20220308_104917.jpg

normal_20220308_112132.jpg

And then we went for a test drive... The power delivery is simply amazing - smooth and linear-like, I chickened out at 2x the speed limit, and there was plenty of power still to come.

It's not a brutal power delivery like the OEM map, it's much smoother, and lulls you into a false sense of security. Until you look at the speedo, that is, and réalisé how fast you're going.

Still doubtful that the gains justify the price, but hey, we only live once, right 😁

I might still get their crank pulley as well, which is 11.8% bigger than the OEM one, and adds 3.5psi of boost.

• Like 1

Given what you say about usability and 2 x speed limit I guess your not going to have a license very long!

You only live once but for less time!

Don't get me wrong I used to have an M5, but when I found myself joining motorways at 120 I realised that performance only usable at high speed is insane and exceedingly dangerous.