Cars for films

Simon_CSK

I have been asked by a company that provides vehicles for films if I know anybody with vehicles. Primarily was a 1974 Police Range Rover but is also looking for military vehicles including Land Rovers up to 1974.

Going from memory there were very little changes to Range Rovers from 74 to about 1980 am I correct.

9 hours ago, Eightpot said:

You wouldn't notice the differences on a police rangie from 74 to 83, aside from bonnet or door mounted mirrors

That was my thinking. What about the interior? Subtle changes in there?

The seat cloth changed from one beige cloth to another, though I think most police vehicles would have used the Fleetline spec with vinyl seats, no carpet just the palomino vinyl mats. Door trims, dash all the same. Three spoke steering wheel stayed till at least 81. 

Police rangies also usually had a big calibrated speedo housed in a seperate dash pod, switch panel for lights/sirens, a large radio set, boot full of kit, cones, broom & radio batteries etc - they used the stiffer red/white springs to cope with the extra weight.    But depending on how close up to a camera the car would get, put some lights and stickers on a white rangie on steel wheels and you won't notice much of that from a distance or as it drove past. 

The most important bit would be the correct style of rooflights - there were a few variations depending on which force,  but most had a light up sign box on one or two rotating beacons. The American style plastic light bar didn't come in till around 1980. 

(On that pic you can make out the vinyl seats, no headrests and central speedo pod on the dash)

20220318_095621.jpg

Edited by Eightpot

A few of the 1970s motorway patrol vehicles were fitted with mechanical sirens as above in addition to the old compressor powered two tones. 

The ex Midlands motorway patrol 2 door I had was originally fitted with a mahoosive extending blue domed, multi rotator extending light (Stemight) unit that had scene lights mounted underneath the rotators. The whole lot would extend from a box mounted on the roof.  To the front of this I think they had the usual Wipac stainless steel bodied adjustable spotlights popular across the board at the time.

Early 80s saw a few adopt Federal Signal 'Twinsonic' 'Aerodynic' or 'Jetsonic' light bars ' or twin beacon 'Visibar' warning lights until Code 3 started marketing their cheaper versions. Other US makes trialled were Dietz & Signal Stat etc.

Prior to that it was Lucas, Britax, Bosch, Hella rotators.