S3 brakes and bleeding

moose

Got a problem on a mates s3 1977 88" with the brakes.

After some offroading on one of the back drums the bleed nipple was found to be missing which meant no brakes (not that they were all that good before :ph34r: )...

so after that i have replaced all the shoes and each wheel cylinder for band new, and had to make up a new rear axle pipe.

i then bled the system through, no leaks and now the brakes do work but it needs 2 pumps of the pedal... so i have now re bled the system through 4 times and i cant find any air in it.

So what have done wrong ?

I found this by searching so will try the suggestions http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6010

the way i have done the bleeding is to start form the wheel furthest from the master cylinder and pump the pedal and hold, then do up the nipple.

thanks for any help

Are they single or twin leading shoe fronts?

If it's not air the favourite is springs in the wrong positions (the trailing shoes don't have springs connected to the top holes) and incorrect adjustment.

they are single shoes front and back.

and I will check (cos iam most often wrong :blink:) .... but iam sure the top springs are just connect to the front shoe and then onto a peg on the drum back plate

Normally they bleed easily, clamp the hoses and see if you can isolate the fault to a particular front cylinder or the rear axle.

There should be some play at the pedal before the master cylinder pushrod starts to move, but if they worked before and you haven't disturbed the MC this should be OK.

so 10" brakes all round, no shuttle valve cos they're single line(which is good). they should bleed up easy.

try as suggested and isolating when bleeding, plus once bled readjust brake shoes.

when u pump them to get brakes, does the pedal stay where it is or slowly sink to the floor?

when u pump them to get brakes, does the pedal stay where it is or slowly sink to the floor?

stays where it is..

I will re check the springs and clamp off the back etc... and see what happens

thanks for all the input