Temperature Sender YCB100400

Don Del

I am located in Bolivia and have a 1999 Defender 110 with a factory fitted 3.5 v8. I have been trying to source a replacement water temperature sender part no. YCB100400 without any luck. I thought I would try this forum for suggestions as to a possible source or maybe an alternative. Any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Del

1999 is very late for a V8 in a Defender, LandRoverWorkshop lists 3.5 V8 on carbs up to 1994:

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-engine/v8-petrol-carburetter

Or 1993-98 for the 3.9 / 4.0 with fuel injection:

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-rover-defender-engine/v8-petrol-efi

Depending on what your engine actually is, there could be a few alternative parts that will work.

My vehicle was a special build imported into Bolivia for the United States Drug Enforcement Agency and is a 3.5 with SU carbs. The part number I obtained from the LR parts manual for VIN XA159807 on.

Del

20 hours ago, Maverik said:

Your truck sounds quite cool,  post up a picture.

Have a look at PRC2506 this could be helpful?

It doesn't seem too expensive and looks to be in stock at verious place, it could be worth a go. 

That is what I was hoping as well but when I spoke with my usual UK supplier, MM 4x4, a while ago they told me that the thread is difference so a non-starter. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I bought the truck in 2010 when it had just under 50,000 miles on the clock and I have put another 40.000 on it so it is just about run in! As requested I have attached a photo (hopefully).

Cheers,

Del

C5201E63-3BA9-40C0-91B4-6438B9F9FAA7.jpeg

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

@Don Del if you know the part number of your temperature gauge that would probably tell us the right sender.

Failing that it's quite easy to ditch the whole thing and put in a universal VDO Vision gauge & matched sender.

I have an Engine Guard system installed with senders on both cylinder heads so I am not too worried about getting caught out with overheating. What I would like to do is get the installed temperature gauge working as it should. I am probably being a bit obsessive but it really bugs me.

Del

I guess it uses the later m12x1.25 thread sender from discovery V8 rather than the older 5/8 UNF thread sender from older v8 defenders.  The resistance range may be different so the newer gauge may not work with older sender types. 

As already mentioned, probably better to get a matched VDO sender/gauge if you can't find something, or use an alternative sender with the same resistance range and modify the thread/use an adaptor.