Land Rover Social - SE England Showground this weekend

simonr

http://landroversocial.co.uk/

I visited the show today - since it's only a few miles from home.  It was pretty small, but for a first event, it had the makings of a much bigger show.

I'd heard that this year is the last LRO Show at Peterborough, as the site is going to be developed for housing - maybe Live Events hope this will be, in part, a replacement?

Probably, mainly due to the small size, it had a nice feel about it - like Eastnor in the olden days.  I saw lots of old friends (we are all getting on a bit these days!)

Too late for most of you this year - but maybe worth considering next.  I'll be there!

Si

I went yesterday. I've known about it for a while but can't remember where I saw it advertised. Yes it was smallish as far as traders go compared to Peterborough and the slightly disappointing Billing, but ok for a first attempt. It was good to have something local to me and not have to travel 100+ miles.

The food struck me down though. Had some fish & chips from a wagon there.  My head was in the toilet last night and still got stomach cramps as I write this. I knew there wasn't something quite right about it and didn't finish it.

• Sad 1

That was a licky escape (for us) then!  We were going to eat there, but were put off by the excessive prices.  We went to the pub over the road (The Gardeners) for lunch instead!

• Like 2

For next year - there's another nice pub in Ardingly village within walking distance but with a car-park opposite plus a bakery & Chinese take away.  In the opposite direction, North towards Turners Hill, there's one of the best Indian Resteraunts in the region.  Hopefully it's won't coincide with one of their Elvis Impersonator evenings - that was quite disturbing ;)

The Gardeners is a nice pub - I've been there a couple of times.  Very friendly, lots of Parking.  Food is decent & not expensive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simonr said:

Hopefully it's won't coincide with one of their Elvis Impersonator evenings - that was quite disturbing ;)

Hilarious though. I think they are great fun.

SWMBO (or I) will not pay the prices for event food on principle, and she will not buy Costa or Starbucks for the same reason, so she will do a really nice lunch which we take to events and have a picnic instead. Much cheaper, nicer, and not much chance of being stretchered offsite with food poisoning ! If it rains, we have it in the van, as we always take a van with the camping stove for tea, and consider it part of the day out.

I took the kids and camped, probably shouldn't have bothered. At the same time it has the makings of a great show, and the show ground is a perfect venue. It's a shame there wasn't more advertising, but hopefully it grows and is supported better in the future.

I spoke to the ladies in the coffee hut thing, who had driven from Crewe for the event - needless to say they weren't happy.