Disco 1 1992 V8 with cats front wide angled propshaft

blz6662

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has fitted a wide angle propshaft that's available off the shelf to replace the solid shaft standard type on the V8 Disco 1 auto (200 series).

The prop on mine is suspect and I'm getting serious vibrations at 45 mph (all front axle components are rebuilt/replaced and set up correctly), therefore looking to see if an upgrade was available.

The truck has a 2 inch lift on the suspension side and QT 3 degree castor correction arms on polybushes.

I've looked at the Terrafirma one and the Gwyn Lewis 1310HD Series propshafts and queried with Gwyn if it would fit (which he is awaiting more info from me).

On inspection my findings are the prop is 610mm closed (+2mm) and the truck is running extended to 630mm. The slider end on the transfer box is 45mm diameter which is running about 20mm above the tubular crossmember, the solid shaft is 30mm diameter and runs 50mm away from the cats (centreline of shaft to side of cat), which is close. The prop angle all seems to be at the slider end with the diff end almost parallel.

I have a spare shaft off a 300 series 3.9 v8 manual and the measurements are the same. I plan on changing the failed joint on that and swop them over if no upgrade is available. I also have another 300 V8 3.9 auto on site and this also has the same shaft with little clearance to the side of the cat.

Maybe I've answered my own question but interested to see what you guys may have done.

Thanks in advance

Baden  

Thanks Nonimouse, my replacement shaft is forward 1 spline out of phase already so see how I get on when it fit it.

The existing one fitted is also the same 1 spline forward.

I have one other theory of the wobble and that is the tyres are now 12 years old Insa Turbo Dakar 235/70 x 16 on standard alloys.

All balanced recently and tracking checked. Maybe they are getting hard due to age (🤪 sorry about that)

Cheers

Baden

Both Swivel housings, bearings etc. recently rebuilt - 1000 miles ago approx.

Checked bearings again before going down prop route. This is the only thing not renewed on this truck. All bushes replaced and still good including top and bottom shock bushes.

Terrafirma Big Bore shocks and Bearmach Blue springs all good condition and working correctly.

Cheers

Baden

Hi,

I have checked them yes, but although there is no play in them I have a feeling the diff end UJ is dried out and starting to break up. It's been getting worse every time I go out so I don't want to use it until I solve it.

I'm fitting a new UJ in my spare propshaft this evening, which has also broken up on the diff end, although the rest of the prop/slider is working fine and Slider UJ is perfect.

I'll give them a re-grease before fitting in place of the current suspect one.

Cheers

Baden

disco 1 v8 front prop01.jpg

disco 1 v8 front prop02.jpg

disco 1 v8 front prop03.jpg

disco 1 v8 front prop04.jpg

disco 1 v8 front prop05.jpg

disco 1 v8 front prop06.jpg

disco 1 v8 front prop07.jpg