Intermittent vibration/shaking on LR disco 4

Adrian Kenny

Hi All,
I hope someone can help.. My 2014 disco 4 has an intermittent problem. I can be driving as normal and suddenly a vibration will start and within a few seconds it will progress to a severe shaking where I have to pull over. when I take off driving again it drives as normal. This may happen every few days or it may go for a week or more before it happens. Lately, it has started to happen more regularly. When the shaking starts, it feels like I'm going over the traffic calming ramps where they get progressively worse and if I don't pull over, it feels like it will shake itself to destruction
My mechanic said it was the carrier bearing, this was changed but didn't fix the problem. This has only caused a separate problem where I have a continuous slight variation when I go over 110km :mad:. I think this may need balancing.
Not sure if my description of the problem makes any sense, if it does and someone has experienced this problem, I would appreciate some advice.
Thanks.
T

Hi welcome to the forum

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the D4 set up but what your describing is similar to what can happen when swivel preload is not set up correctly on series and Defender front axles, with that in mind I would check all your steering components, ball joints etc check wheel bearings also regards Stephen

• 4 months later...

On a D3, the first place I'd look would be the rear brake calipers. They have a habit of sticking intermittently, and as they heat up they get grabby and the shuddering starts. Replacements are fairly cheap and very easy to fit.