Axle dolly/stand

Gazzar

I'll be working on a few axles this year. So, conscious that safety is important, I'm going to build a stand for my axles.

The current thinking is to repurpose bits of engine stands and link them together.

I'm reluctant to use the existing legs, as I'd have to cut off the castor brackets, so I'll buy some new box and use that.

Some new uprights, and a central upright to hold the nose on the Salisbury, and I'll have a safe sturdy mobile stand.

IMG_20230102_163011.jpg

IMG_20230102_163046.jpg

IMG_20230102_164206.jpg

• Like 1

The steel arrived today so the first phase of the design is done. Measuring the axle spring mounts of a SWB set the dimensions.

Some cutting and drilling later the frame base is done.

IMG_20230104_192039.jpg

IMG_20230104_195402.jpg

I'll design the tops tomorrow, but the current idea is to have something that drops into/over the uprights. I'm also debating whether to weld on bolts for tightening, or drilling and bolting through.

I'm also thinking I might make a version that allows me to spray an axle casing.

I was going to just weld the retainers into the uprights, but figured that it might be smarter to have them demountable, so could use the stand for different things.

Ideas followed.

IMG_20230106_110539.jpg

IMG_20230106_113827.jpg

IMG_20230106_115225.jpg

The rest of the design was, again, simple.

I'm delighted that the axle supports were absolutely level, my calculations were good enough for the job.

All done. 

IMG_20230106_141943.jpg

IMG_20230106_143350.jpg

IMG_20230106_144845.jpg

IMG_20230106_150818.jpg

• Like 1

Looking good.
I've been lucky enough over the year to find dumped supermarket trolleys in the hedge near me. As long as they aren't the type with wheels that stick to travelators the castors are very good for use on engine trolley builds.

• Like 1

I'm conscious that there's no way of retaining the axle on the stand, bar gravity. I might have to fit some way of bolting it down at some stage.

When welding the captive nuts either add more nuts to the exposed thread on the bolts or use a locking nut on the opposite side so no thread is exposed, spatter can stick to the thread and cause gauling upon removel of the bolt.

Looking good! Will it catch the nose both ways so you rotate the axle to work on both sides?

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...