2.0 MPi Discovery question

Orange

I know this is probably better in the Disco forum, but I'm hopefully going to look at one tomorrow, so need a few quick responses...

What are they really like off-road??

I know they're a little under powered for everyday use, but once they are in low range and trugging along, they can't be too awful - can they??

The aim is to get myself a solid car as the RRC is unlikely to pass another MoT and this sounds like a good example and seems like a good place to start. Later to add a better engine....

Anyone with some experience of them???

TIA

Adrian

I know this is probably better in the Disco forum, but I'm hopefully going to look at one tomorrow, so need a few quick responses...

What are they really like off-road??

I know they're a little under powered for everyday use, but once they are in low range and trugging along, they can't be too awful - can they??

The aim is to get myself a solid car as the RRC is unlikely to pass another MoT and this sounds like a good example and seems like a good place to start. Later to add a better engine....

Anyone with some experience of them???

TIA

Adrian

I had one for a few months. Not that good off road, but good on it. Well ok. Off road theres no engine breaking to speak of and you have to rev it a lot. On road it went better than a TDI, but you do not want to try towing with it. Also remember its not a standard LT77 box and the clutch is not the same either. As for adding a bigger engine it has a full with rad with electric fans, but you will need to change the box as well.

I give £800 for mine and it was almoust mint on a K reg with 77k miles on it with the clutch gone, sold it a few months later for £1700.

Paul

I do, of course, have the 3.5 out of the RR to play with, so it could be an option in the short term........

I don't mind revving things - I had a 1.4 Fiesta as a courtesy car not too long ago and that got revved...... :lol:

I do happen to know where there is a T series Turbo not a million miles from here

The guy who runs the nursery down the road from here has one - he loves it.

If it were me I would sell on the engine and box to the comp safari crowd and throw in a 200Tdi. Simple job take about a weekend with lots of tea

Dave, that's the route I'm planning to take in the long run, but am just wondering if I'd get really p###ed off with it in the mean time??!!

Everything with a 200 in it already seems to either be as bad as Mark's was or out of my price band at the moment!!

Oi! Mine wasn't that bad... Oh, OK, yeah it was! Like I said, for someone who cannot and will not be able to weld, disco's and rangies are always going to prove a problem...

Anyone got a cheap 90 or 110 lying around?

Dave, that's the route I'm planning to take in the long run, but am just wondering if I'd get really p###ed off with it in the mean time??!!

Everything with a 200 in it already seems to either be as bad as Mark's was or out of my price band at the moment!!

Hi,

If you decide to buy it, and then decide to swap the engine, please give me a shout... I am looking for a complete T16 engine in "Disco" spec to transplant into my Rover P4.

If you decide to stick with the engine, but are looking for more power, then the engine is basically the same as the turbo'd engine fitted to 220, 420 and 820 cars. As far as I'm aware the intake/exhaust/turbo assemblies are interchangeable. You might need to swap ecu's too (TBH I'd be amazed if you didn't have to), and plugging the lot into a megasquirt or similar would probably be a good idea.

Regards, Glen.