Main Bearing 300tdi ERR6933 - what is this product ID code?

Ryan1997_300TDI

Hey all,

I am having a heck of a time figuring out whether the bearing my mechanic pulled from my Discovery 1 1997 300tdi is standard or oversized and we need to replace them. The problem is that the markers on the bearings don't come up in a google search or in the parts manual. I have attached a picture. Does anyone know anything about these bearing markers? If they are standard, oversized or which manufacturer they belong to? G • D ERR6993  MB.

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-01 at 1.38.17 PM.jpeg

bit of a strange question i would think , your mechanic needs to measure the crankshaft journals and figure the right size from a chart in the manual .....

that beats putting the wrong bearings in found by some obscure number 🙂 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hurbie said:

bit of a strange question i would think , your mechanic needs to measure the crankshaft journals and figure the right size from a chart in the manual .....

that beats putting the wrong bearings in found by some obscure number 🙂 

Quite.  Unless doing a bit of a lash-up refresh of an engine without taking it apart, there would be no reason to trust that a crank hadn’t worn or marked a little and didn’t need a grind or polish and subsequent underside bushes, and there would be little excuse to trust that the previous bushes were correct anyway.  But I can see why it’s tempting to throw new bearings in on a tidy but used engine without removing the crank shaft.

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

But I can see why it’s tempting to throw new bearings in on a tidy but used engine without removing the crank shaft.

but that leaves the question how do you change the last one (close to the gearbox) 

58 minutes ago, hurbie said:

but that leaves the question how do you change the last one (close to the gearbox) 

It’d be a bodge, but on some engines it may be possible to replace at least the lower shell - the upper should have little wear as the compression and combustion strokes push the crank against the lower shells.  I’d need to see an engine up close to see if that could be done, but I suspect it could.  Not sure if it’d disturb the block to flywheel housing gasket or, on the 300, the rear crank seal too much.  I’d be wary of that on the 300.

• Like 1