Reliability in Africa - Standard Salisbury or Limited Slip Differential?

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

I don’t see why my comments are being twisted into an anti this or that posture - they aren’t.  My comments about the complexity of a locker relate to DIY installation, with all the ancillary bits that go along with the diff, and the maintenance that is needed when the air seals start leaking (hence my preference for an electric solenoid locker), not the driver operation.  If you have a lot of mechanical experience and the facilities to install a locker yourself, then it’s not too bad, but if you have to pay someone to fit it, it all adds up to an expensive job.  It may or may not be worth the expense, depending on what the driver wants.  Their decision.  That is the full extent of my limited concern over their “complexity”.   Keeping the Salisbury avoids all of that.  I also said I don’t have concerns over the strength of the lockers or ATBs, just that the Salisbury is very strong, possibly a little stronger.  None of those comments have been negative.

I personally wasn’t twisting any of your comments, simply explaining some of the questions you asked regarding my reasoning. I think we actually agree on more things than not. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uninformed said:

I absolutely disagree with your first comment. As someone who has spent the vast majority of their off-road driving experience on factory size tyres, locker’s definitely help get through conditions that would leave non locked bogged and don’t lead to more digging if standard common sense driving is applied. One example I can share was the demonstration of a 100” coil sprung rig bogged to its axles in soft river sand (750-16 tyres) no forward or rearward movement just one wheel each end spinning sand flying, digging in. Lockers engaged, low 2nd and light revs and the vehicle slowly dug itself out. 

You are much more likely to lose forward momentum and start digging unlocked, regardless of tyre size. 

Id also argue that remote touring is more serious than competing given what being stranded can mean. Often no help, and far from resources. I’d not take those risks on some of the stock components here in our outback. 

I agree with all of that.  But, if you stick to major roads, regardless of how poor they are, you are at least likely to have someone else to pull you out soon enough, unlike roads like the Canning, which are as remote as they are difficult.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, uninformed said:

I absolutely disagree with your first comment. As someone who has spent the vast majority of their off-road driving experience on factory size tyres, locker’s definitely help get through conditions that would leave non locked bogged and don’t lead to more digging if standard common sense driving is applied. One example I can share was the demonstration of a 100” coil sprung rig bogged to its axles in soft river sand (750-16 tyres) no forward or rearward movement just one wheel each end spinning sand flying, digging in. Lockers engaged, low 2nd and light revs and the vehicle slowly dug itself out. 

You are much more likely to lose forward momentum and start digging unlocked, regardless of tyre size. 

Id also argue that remote touring is more serious than competing given what being stranded can mean. Often no help, and far from resources. I’d not take those risks on some of the stock components here in our outback. 

Let's agree to disagree then. Like you I have spent most of my 40 odd years off off tarmac driving, on factory size. All this on six of the seven continents. I stick by what I say. But everyone drives differently, everyone handles the vehicle diffently, inputs throttle differently. One of the worst habits with an unlocked cross axle diff is to treat it like a two wheel drive car on tarmac, and increase the power, but with most drivers it's a natural response. Off tarmac, that results in holes. Off tarmac you need to be ready to either 'give it beans' or 'back right off' and that's a good skill aquired. Round where I live now, it's vital, as there is no geological resistance until you hit 370-400'; break the crust and you lose the vehicle or machine, permanently. Makes for understanding throttle input