Headlight Sidelight issue

I have issues with the sidelights on my 7" headlights. When I turn on the sidelights, the bullet lights work on the sides but the side lights on both headlight units itself doesn't. I have taken the fuse out and bypassed a wire direct from the battery to the output on the fusebox and it worked on both so I know its not an issue with the headlight itself. I have also checked continuity from the switch blue/white wire to the fuse box and that works fine too. The side light switch is new so I don't think it could be that either. The main headlights work when I turn them on and also full beam works, just not the side lights.

Any ideas?

Almost certainly the pink Dim Dip relay which is behind the instrument panel which most people bypass as per picture below (all of mine are!). When you say sidelights in the headlight do you mean you have extra small bulbs in the headlight (this would not be standard) or the come on 'Dim' compared to normal with the sidelights?

normal_image~6.jpg

52 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Almost certainly the pink Dim Dip relay which is behind the instrument panel which most people bypass as per picture below (all of mine are!). When you say sidelights in the headlight do you mean you have extra small bulbs in the headlight (this would not be standard) or the come on 'Dim' compared to normal with the sidelights?

normal_image~6.jpg

I don't think I have this relay as I have a 1986 Defender 90 2.5 n/a. I don't think I have seen it on the wiring diagrams either. When I didn't mention earlier in the first post was despite having continuity through the blue/white wire from the steering column to the fuse box, I don't get 12v in any of the switch positions 🤔

You might have this version of the dim dip.

https://images.app.goo.gl/HCAATMLHEoKdjBqD7

Defender, 90, 110 don't normally have sidelights in the headlight, so if someone has fitted mini 7" headlights for example, they do have sidelights so they're often not wired up. I've heard of MOT inspectors failing cars for having both bullet and headlight sidelights wired up.

Mike

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

... I've heard of MOT inspectors failing cars for having both bullet and headlight sidelights wired up.

That's why I didn't connect mine - I was categorically told by the MOT inspector that it would fail...