new key

pgrbff

I have a 96 tdi so ignition keys are easy, but a friend of mine has been quoted 700 euro for a new key.

He has fairly recently bought a late 2018 Disco Sport 2.0 TD4 150 CV. He doesn't think he was given a second key but as he bought it from a LR dealer some distance away they told him to go to his nearest dealer and they would sort him out.

They have appeared to have told him that they need to remove the ECU to give him another key and it is going to cost euro 700.00.

Can anyone suggest why this might be the case? The key he has works perfectly well, how would they normally supply a new key? And how much would one expect to pay in the UK?

On 5/10/2023 at 3:04 PM, pgrbff said:

I have a 96 tdi so ignition keys are easy, but a friend of mine has been quoted 700 euro for a new key.

He has fairly recently bought a late 2018 Disco Sport 2.0 TD4 150 CV. He doesn't think he was given a second key but as he bought it from a LR dealer some distance away they told him to go to his nearest dealer and they would sort him out.

They have appeared to have told him that they need to remove the ECU to give him another key and it is going to cost euro 700.00.

Can anyone suggest why this might be the case? The key he has works perfectly well, how would they normally supply a new key? And how much would one expect to pay in the UK?

Its not that involved LR like any other  manufacturer plug their dedicated diagnostic  kit to take the keys info and then tell the security ecu to erase the lost key and to accept the new one, then program a the replacement.

Cost 300 - 350  via LR main dealer using a genuine part,  but here in the uk there’s a lot of of small companies that with a van and the diagnostic kit in the back will visit you and even supply an identical fob, all you get from is “call us for a quote” on their site.

• 2 months later...

If I remember correctly, some vehicles a few years old had a limited number of key variants that could be stored in the ECU. After that number had been used, the ECU had to be changed to a new unit with all storage locations available.
Apparently some very new cars have to have the ecu changed for any replacement keys.
All allegedly to make it harder for thieves to make use of stolen cars !

On 7/20/2023 at 6:24 PM, Pawl12 said:

If I remember correctly, some vehicles a few years old had a limited number of key variants that could be stored in the ECU. After that number had been used, the ECU had to be changed to a new unit with all storage locations available.
Apparently some very new cars have to have the ecu changed for any replacement keys.
All allegedly to make it harder for thieves to make use of stolen cars !

What a shame it appears to have no effect on car theft in practice!