Wheels/axles/hubs - 110

To avoid muddying the waters further on my ohter wheels thread I thought it would be smart to start a fresh one.

Let's assume for a moment that I like the Boost alloys which are currently fitted... but I really don't like the spacers.

What I know at the moment is that I appear to have two different rear hubs and/or drive hafts (apparently one from a 200 and one from a 300? and that if I want to get rid of my spacers before they kill me or anyone else I need, at the very least, new front hubs.

My Landy is a 1985 110 so pretty early, and as far as I'm aware it's all original, so drums on the back.

Is it feasible/advisable/cost effective to update the front hubs to take the Boosts without spacers? And if so, what do I need to change? (because I can't work it out). Similarly at the back, it seems that things aren't as they should be (see here:) 

I don't know how best to proceed. I can bin the alloys and either refit my original steels (expensive because they all need new tubed tyres) or get some modular wheels or Wolfs and use the tyres off the Boosts...or I can make the Boosts fit properly.

But the spacers really need to go sooner rather than later I think.

I think it is the drive flanges that are the problem,  not sure if changing to aftermarket flanges may be a cure. I swapped my 85 front for a 96 disco front as I had a few of them, they say the early CVS are the strongest but I never had problems with the later ones with my 3.9. 

• Thanks 1

I used 1/4” spacers made from the centre naves of scrap brake drums.  I also swapped the studs for the longer Wolf studs to ensure sufficient thread engagement.  Britpart make cheaper studs, but I didn’t trust them and paid over £10 each for genuine.  You would still have to deal with the plastic cones.  

I think Wolf rims are the best solution unless you are especially keen on the alloys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, I am as ever reassured by your comments. 

And yes, I have indeed managed to source som Wolfs :) They should be going on tomorrow assuming the nuts turn up (half arrived today...)

• Like 1