Painting chassis

Hello 

spraying chassis the weekend fingers crossed, 

new to painting with a gun so could use some advice,

if I ever need paint advice I’d ask dad but sadly he passed away,😪 

so my question is what ratio of thinners  to chassis paint  do I need? 
thank you.

5C0B39B0-92D9-4C20-A73B-F7EC84C2EE8A.jpeg

Enough to get it to spray nicely to thick it'll spit and have a patchy pattern, if your only spraying your chassis your not worried about a bit of orange peel, less thinners equals less flow out but more paint. More thinners allows it to flow giving a better finish but less thickness.

Mike

When you spray into internal corners like outriggers and rear x-member turn the spray cone setting to minimum to narrow it and force the paint into corners, also useful for little brackets - rear x-member tabs etc. 

Do the edges of the rails with the small cone pattern too first then set to fan pattern for the flat area's and lastly it's the chassis some more is good and the odd drip or run is fine:)

Wear a mask and watch out for where the over spray goes. Set the air reg. to 40psi to start with and go up or down to suit your mix and gun.

Steve

• Like 1

I repainted mine after the sandblaster had painted it for me but had missed lots of little corners and everytime I looked I saw little orange spots, so got two engine stands and a temporary carport and sprayed it again with about 4 coats of  chassis black, much easier when rotating it to get everywhere you need to.

20221230_175319.jpg

20230102_145146.jpg

3 hours ago, Paul C said:

I repainted mine after the sandblaster had painted it for me but had missed lots of little corners and everytime I looked I saw little orange spots, so got two engine stands and a temporary carport and sprayed it again with about 4 coats of  chassis black, much easier when rotating it to get everywhere you need to.

20221230_175319.jpg

20230102_145146.jpg

I only have one engine stand unfortunately we shall try our best today tho 😊

Well yesterday was a great day managed to get chassis on to the drive clean it up and spray it with my new gravity fed spray gun, cheep as chips at £20,49 

yes my 50 litre compressor was constantly running so sprayed a bit and let the compressor rest,

all is well chassis painted 

so thank you all for your help. 
Mark.

• Like 2