110 v8 - fuel pump replacement

=jon=

Hi All

I've been having some intermittent problems with the fuel pump on my MS powered v8. Normally it would work fine, but if the weather was really hot it'd stop priming - turn the key and there's no whine from the pump. Sometimes it would blow the 10A fuse on the relay board, sometimes it would just not run. Leave it for a bit, then sometimes it would run again, but if you turned it off and back on again it'd not prime. 

As far as I can tell everything is OK electrically - you can hear the fuel pump relay click on and off when you turn the key, the fuel gauge flickers slightly when the pump 'should' be priming which suggests it's drawing current but not pumping, so I guess it's on it's way out. 

There's plenty of guides around for changing TD5 pumps by making an access hatch through the boot floor, but nothing for a V8. Is it possible to change the pump in situ, or do you have to drop the tank? 

Thanks!

Jon

Cutting a hole in the floor is not a nice solution, unfortunately directly above the pump is the aluminium top hat sections that run the length of the floor and one of the steel tub floor crossmembers.  Cutting through all that is not only a bad idea above a tank full of petrol, it removes far too much of the strength of the tub floor.  The only option really is to drop the tank.  I've changed mine a couple of times and if i have to have it out again, ill be swapping the in tank pump for a simple pick up tube and an external fuel pump.

I've seen a few people have fitted an external pump, and just 'sucked through' the existing in tank pump - not sure if this is an option, as it tends to be when fitting a high pressure EFI pump to replace a low pressure carb pump... But it'd be a whole load less hassle than dropping the tank out...

Dropping the tank is an awkward faff but not rocket surgery - 109's had a nice access flap in the rear floor, it would be easy enough to cut one out & make good in a similar style with a couple of bits of ali & some rivets plus a couple of the big floor screws & captive nuts, it could look factory very easily.