Living with a 3.6tdv8

Keeper96

Hi all, I’m hoping to buy a 3.6 tdv8 l322 in the next few weeks and was hoping I could get some input on what they’re like to live with? 

I know landrocets in general are a running project rather than reliable daily drivers (at least mine are anyway haha) but just complex are these big machines? 

im a diesel fitter by trade so happy with nuts and bolts but not so strong on electrics 

Cheers guys 

Are you looking to buy a Vogue or a Sport? I have both and there are both very nice cars and use them daily. My sport is a hack that I have been using for three years without a problem. The issues that the sports have and probably relevant to L322's is that the turbos are a weakness. The weakness is harder to resolve on the sport which requires a body lift to replace. My L322 has been off the road for 2 years with a suspected gearbox fault which turned out to be a popped driveshaft, this isn't the first time I have had this issue on an L322 as my 4.4 petrol SE suffered the same problem at the beginning of the year.

Fuel wise I get about 21mpg but then I have a very heavy right foot and the car is a pleasure to drive. Prefer the TDV8 to the TDV6 in the sport however a 4.4 or 5.0 on Petrol with LPG is a much preferred option.

On 9/17/2023 at 1:51 PM, Simon_CSK said:

Are you looking to buy a Vogue or a Sport? I have both and there are both very nice cars and use them daily. My sport is a hack that I have been using for three years without a problem. The issues that the sports have and probably relevant to L322's is that the turbos are a weakness. The weakness is harder to resolve on the sport which requires a body lift to replace. My L322 has been off the road for 2 years with a suspected gearbox fault which turned out to be a popped driveshaft, this isn't the first time I have had this issue on an L322 as my 4.4 petrol SE suffered the same problem at the beginning of the year.

Fuel wise I get about 21mpg but then I have a very heavy right foot and the car is a pleasure to drive. Prefer the TDV8 to the TDV6 in the sport however a 4.4 or 5.0 on Petrol with LPG is a much preferred option.

Thanks for the input, the car I’m looking at has just had both turbos and the inlet manifold replaced so should be good on that front. 

after reading more into it I think I’ll be avoiding the Range Rover for now as I can justify £675 road tax and 21-25mpg is just a touch to low these days with the mileage I do haha 

If you return to the Rr market then hold out for a 4.4TDV8. You will not regret it. Full of electrickery but also full of smiles per mile. Effortless power, comfort, ability etc. etc. I really miss mine 😕 You should easily manage high 20's MPG and many get into the 30's but they perhaps don't explore the engine's potential fully! :D 

5 hours ago, bishbosh said:

If you return to the Rr market then hold out for a 4.4TDV8. You will not regret it. Full of electrickery but also full of smiles per mile. Effortless power, comfort, ability etc. etc. I really miss mine 😕 You should easily manage high 20's MPG and many get into the 30's but they perhaps don't explore the engine's potential fully! :D 

BB

I get plenty of smiles per gallon with a 3.6 on both the Sport and the Vogue. Having said that my hack is a 4.4 petrol Vogue SE which runs on LPG. That gives me economy, power and a Range Rover to play with.