Northern France/ Belgium

rusty_wingnut

I am loosely planning a quiet laning trip, possibly with the Series 1. I thought it might be pleasant to sample what’s across the channel, but am struggling to find any definitive routes. 

I'd be happy to follow any battlefield routes, or suggestions from those who may have done routes in either Northern France or Belgium, does anyone have experience  of off roading across the channel?

• Like 2

Just a bit.

Laning in Belgium has all but disappeared over the past decade. In Flanders you mainly need to look out for the dreaded blue sign with a tractor on it (you're not allowed in there) and signs for private roads. In Wallonia you're basically not even allowed to be between trees - you're not allowed to drive in forests, and the definition is loose enough that they can basically get you for having a row of trees on both sides.

Don't trust Wikiloc blindly. There's a lot of outdated routes, as well as a lot of routes from people that don't care about legality...

I'll be impressed if you can find much greenlaning-wise around the battlefields.

• Sad 1

There are some lanes in Northern France that pass some battlefields and memorials. We did some around Verdun last year.

If you go through with this, do keep us informed. We'd be happy to help and/or join you on part of the trip. 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback so far, I am not looking for all out mud plugging, with axles buried deep in mud, more gentle off the beaten track stuff. 

I have read a lot of routes are now illegal in Belgium, although it seems more potential in Wallonia than elsewhere?

Edited by rusty_wingnut

There is more potential in Wallonia than Flanders, simply because there are less people and more woodlands etc. But as @elbekko said, the rules are pretty strict regarding driving of the paved roads, so it's far from easy to find a legal route. France is a lot better, around Verdun everything that looks like a maintained road can be driven. This is mainly gravel tracks, tracks for forestry etc are of limits. As are water crossings, unless there is no alternative.