Britpart Lynx software using different VCI?

I'm currently in the process of being able to talk to my Mercedes using Xentry/Vediamo so I can hopefully code out some annoying "features". For this I've bought a Tactrix Openport 2.0 VCI.

But of course I'm thinking about Land Rovers as well, and it struck me that the Britpart Lynx hardware is basically just a VCI - and it talks to my P38. So now I'm wondering if I can't just get its software (which is freely available) to talk to my hardware :)

I gave it a quick go, but of course it wasn't as simple as just plugging things in, so I'm going to have to dig into the software a bit. Luckily it's all .NET (my wheelhouse), and easily decompilable (even though they've obfuscated it a bit).

Anyone that has attempted this before that can give some tips? Otherwise this thread shall serve as a reminder that I want to do this, and a log of my attempts :P

• Like 1

We should check which wires are used in the Tactrix OBD. LR uses dedicated wires for things like EAS that might not be included in the standard OBD. But if you can talk to engine and gearbox, that would already be a major win! Needless to say you're welcome to play around with our Lynx VCI.

1 minute ago, Escape said:

We should check which wires are used in the Tactrix OBD. LR uses dedicated wires for things like EAS that might not be included in the standard OBD. But if you can talk to engine and gearbox, that would already be a major win! Needless to say you're welcome to play around with our Lynx VCI.

Only the EAS is on different pins, the ECM/ABS/... is all multiplexed on the standard OBD pins (otherwise things like the Biltema tool and ELM327 adapters wouldn't be able to do anything).

I think it's purely a software issue that'll take some figuring out :)

Having an initial peek at the application.

Lots of .NET assemblies. OmniTec is promising, as they're the ones that made T4 as well:

image.png.3f77826fba8a4a18d196c20b914cead1.png

That config file has some interesting looking stuff in it:

image.thumb.png.090d8a0bc06e1ca78df7656d43ca98c5.png

Looking at the referenced classes, also very interesting:

image.png.26869fda4da097746fd38196c3d96346.png

So maybe with changing a few settings we can get it to use a PassThru connection (aka the OpenPort 2.0) instead of the Lynx hardware (which apparently goes over FTDI)?

Promising :D More poking around shall be done...

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a fair bit of time on this, and thought I was making good progress... but alas :( Looks like all of the actual vehicle communication logic is on the Lynx/Omitec VCI itself, not in the application, it's just a thin front-end on top of some very generic communication where it gets a list of vehicles, a list of functions that vehicle supports, etc.

That also explains the very generic (and bad) interface in the application, as it's built around the VCI communication.

Oh well.

11 hours ago, elbekko said:

Spent a fair bit of time on this, and thought I was making good progress... but alas :( Looks like all of the actual vehicle communication logic is on the Lynx/Omitec VCI itself, not in the application, it's just a thin front-end on top of some very generic communication where it gets a list of vehicles, a list of functions that vehicle supports, etc.

That also explains the very generic (and bad) interface in the application, as it's built around the VCI communication.

Oh well.

Sorry just seen this thread - do you want me to send you my Lynx hardware etc. for P38? It’s just sitting in the garage doing nothing. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just received Steve's Lynx. Interestingly, when scanning the QR code for the app that's on the package, it downloads the app for the Atlantic British iLAND:
https://www.roverparts.com/diagnostics/comprehensive-diagnostic-systems/ILANDV2/

Which appears to be the Lynx rebadged. Haven't tried hooking it up to the car yet, but will soon.
And will probably open up the APK and have a peek at how it works... :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elbekko said:

Haven't tried hooking it up to the car yet, but will soon.

And did that as well now, works perfectly fine even on Android 14. Just need to make sure you pair with the device, that doesn't seem to work from the app.

The code in the APK is hard to read :( Might have to do some snooping of communication...