Fitting an Ashcroft ATB to my Salisbury axle

Thank you, it feels good and I am hoping that the ATB shows a good mesh this morning. Hopefully I can get it back into the case without difficulty.

Yes the second flange holding bar, which was a bit short but all I had, was pushing down on a couple of wood blocks to get it nearer to horizontal. The photo was taken before I realised that would be necessary. Even so, the whole axle was trying to lift.

In Mike's video, not only does he do this on a bench, the axle doesn't really move until the last bit. For anyone else doing it, I would say that it can't be done on the vehicle unless it is up on a ramp.

• Like 2

I got the ATB in, this time with the carrier bearings. They were a good eBay find, at £5 each. Came off someone's garage shelf, still sealed. I needed the spreader and a good few encouraging taps with the copper hammer. Even then the bearings only pulled in with the bolts. It feels good though but wow that pinion pre-load makes a difference. Maybe I'll no longer be able to push it!

The best bit was the backlash and the mesh looks good too.

IMG_2888.thumb.jpeg.1480b9954936b78e80c669855dec4ac9.jpeg

IMG_2889.thumb.jpeg.c29d08b4058b41d0d22babd79b108706.jpeg

IMG_2891.thumb.jpeg.c0f5a717854fc1914a46cafc22070a5e.jpeg

IMG_2890.thumb.jpeg.e55c8a291aab80334bb837b74869526e.jpeg

I then fitted the new brake lines and the rims, to help move it around and also took out the filler plug to make the oil fill move obvious, I hope.

IMG_2892.thumb.jpeg.9ece96fb3e4ad37021639aa8cdcc5462.jpeg

Finally the tricky task of lifting into place on the vehicle, with only my pair of hands. This is difficult and much frustration was expounded but finally it is in. The spring seats have a lot of grease, bolts have copper slip and nuts will have threadlock after torque-ing but not until it is sitting on wheels.

The ARB has new Gwyn Lewis greaseable balls but they still need to be properly located. Something doesn't line-up but it's probably me. I had already tried to bolt down the spring seats with them upside-down. I'll look again tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well done.  The pattern looks good, perhaps slightly into the valley on a couple of the convex side but the foreground and background teeth with a little less blue look like a nice contact, so I suspect the sharp cut off line on those middle teeth was down to a bit too much blue being applied.  The concave side patterns look good.

I feel your pain on how heavy it is.  I did it laying under the vehicle on the driveway.  At least the combination of MoD/1Ton suspension hangers and HD parabolics allowed clearance from the fuel tank!

• Like 1