1 hour ago, fmmv said:

If authentic appearance matters you can get alternators that look like dynamos eg link, dynalites. The dynamos aren't normally too bad, brushes are the usual thing, but those control boxes....

Wow, very spendy!

On 4/16/2024 at 12:20 PM, markyboy said:

Wow, very spendy!

True, but one possible solution. I remember dynamos and seems amazing now alternators were a breath of fresh air. The dynamos themselves are quite reliable and easy to fix, the cotrol boxes were cantankerous. Maybe there are solid state controllers these days.

I had started to look at those and was initially leaning that way .. 

Cost wise though - a new control box plus a dynamo rebuild is still a lot less money than the Tudor alternator…. Where I’d then also be wanting to change from an ammeter.

Plus then there is the originality bit … I am going to be trying a different starter motor… but it would be good to limit what I change where I can.

Original is nice if it works ….and that dynamo has worked for it (to some degree) since 1958.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fmmv said:

True, but one possible solution. I remember dynamos and seems amazing now alternators were a breath of fresh air. The dynamos themselves are quite reliable and easy to fix, the cotrol boxes were cantankerous. Maybe there are solid state controllers these days.

I remember helping my dad change the brushes on many of the dynamos on his old, junk cars. When I started my apprenticeship in the late '70's, they were, more or less, a thing of the past. My first 2A had a dynamo, but I converted to alternator as I fitted an electric winch to it. Currently in the process of reviving a '67 2A, which also has a dynamo, which has had a 'refresh'. It remains to be seen whether the regulator is operational, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. 

• Like 2

On 4/18/2024 at 4:00 PM, Stellaghost said:

I hope your currently in the process of starting a revival thread on the above....

regards Stephen

🫢 Embarrasingly, Stephen, I haven't done anything, apart from lose all the photos I took when we first got the vehicle. I have taken quite a number of photos since the rebuild started and will continue to do so. I suppose I could do thread 'when I get time'.  

• Like 1