Stupid question Saturday - heater hoses

Hi,

So having got to the point where I'm almost putting things together it occurred to me that I'll need all the hoses to connect things up. No problem - rampaged through the pdf, found the part numbers, found someone who had them (I know it's a blue box but choices were limited on some of the items) and ordered. 

Then realised my pdf is for a 3.5 carb while my engine is a 3.9i

Pretty sure the front hoses will be the same, but what about the ones to the heater?

Anyone got a parts fiche for the 3.9 so I can check? I had one but had a bit of a server problem and lost it.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Which 3.9?

There's many setups.... 

Of course there are...

Three drive belts on the front, which I believe makes it an early one?

You've also then got the question of how the engine sits relative to any factory positions. You've probably posted this in the other thread but I can't remember the info.... but is the engine/gearbox/LT230 a stock combo? which main gearbox? What position is it in? 

The only time a 3.9 was factory fitted to a Defender would have been the 50th anniversary, but that would have been a serp rather than vee belt lump. 

Where did your engine mounts come from? If they're a kit to fit the V8 to the original chassis side mounts then whoever sold you those might do a hose kit. 

• Thanks 1

So there are two steel pipes with a bleeder that run along the passenger rocker cover/valley, bolted to inlet manifold, they often rot out, but may be available new still.

You can see them here: 

image.jpeg.7f202ba1792eb99d78a5ed1a3e947b1d.jpeg

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, landroversforever said:

You've also then got the question of how the engine sits relative to any factory positions. You've probably posted this in the other thread but I can't remember the info.... but is the engine/gearbox/LT230 a stock combo? which main gearbox? What position is it in? 

The only time a 3.9 was factory fitted to a Defender would have been the 50th anniversary, but that would have been a serp rather than vee belt lump. 

Where did your engine mounts come from? If they're a kit to fit the V8 to the original chassis side mounts then whoever sold you those might do a hose kit. 

Yes, I realise there may a bit of MacGyvering to do. My engine position is governed by the gearboxes, which are on the standard mounts so I don't have to muck about with prop shafts etc. 

The mounts came from Steve Parker - does lots of conversions for various diesels but not for V8s.

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

So there are two steel pipes with a bleeder that run along the passenger rocker cover/valley, bolted to inlet manifold, they often rot out, but may be available new still.

You can see them here: 

image.jpeg.7f202ba1792eb99d78a5ed1a3e947b1d.jpeg

Helpful, thanks.

And looking at LR Workshop diagrams (which include the 3.9 because oif the anniversary edition) it looks like I may get away with this.

Obviously something is going to bite my arse at some point, but at the oment fingers crossed it'll fly.

1 hour ago, Junglie said:

Yes, I realise there may a bit of MacGyvering to do. My engine position is governed by the gearboxes, which are on the standard mounts so I don't have to muck about with prop shafts etc. 

The mounts came from Steve Parker - does lots of conversions for various diesels but not for V8s.

I think your best bet to save wasting money, is to get it all together and then get some measurements. Shame steve doesn't do the bits given how detailed his kits are for the diesel lumps. 

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I think your best bet to save wasting money, is to get it all together and then get some measurements. Shame steve doesn't do the bits given how detailed his kits are for the diesel lumps. 

I think you're probably right.

I used universal silicone elbows/straights from ebay and lengths of stainless pipe to cobble mine up, looks smart enough - I did manage to persuade someone to weld up several stainless sections into one very nice single piece to cut down on joins but it's not essential. Beading the ends is a wrinkle though.

I figure stainless won't burst and adds a little cooling, and using only relatively short bits of silicone to join it all means if one pops I can probably cut a straight or bent section from almost anything and pop it in there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I picked up an early inlet manifold with the pipes that run underneath, they're not pretty but I think they're intact, you'd be welcome to those.

I'll take you up on that if I may...

PM on the way

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

If I get time I will check my stash, I may have one. 

Not like I need heater pipes in LGT :ph34r:

Thanks - I may be sorted courtesy of FridgeFreezer but if you stumble over any I'm happy to take it/them off your hands.

9 hours ago, Junglie said:

Thanks - I may be sorted courtesy of FridgeFreezer but if you stumble over any I'm happy to take it/them off your hands.

Looks like I may have not been paying full attention - checked the cheapy inlet manifold I grabbed at sodbury and this is what I've got:

parp.thumb.jpg.3cd59255cc1c4e03b70d93cdef343c43.jpg

Obviously my brain remembered it had a heater pipe with it but no useful details...

Yours if you want it but I suspect you don't :ph34r:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Looks like I may have not been paying full attention - checked the cheapy inlet manifold I grabbed at sodbury and this is what I've got:

parp.thumb.jpg.3cd59255cc1c4e03b70d93cdef343c43.jpg

Obviously my brain remembered it had a heater pipe with it but no useful details...

Yours if you want it but I suspect you don't :ph34r:

Hmm. I don't think that will work for me, but much appreciated anyway.

@Bowie69 if that offer is still open then please do have a look - at your convenience, I'm not going to be able to do anything for a week or two anyway.