Rear Brake Issues

A blob of weld and a file would probably solve the issue but really new calipers are not fantastically dear for the peace of mind of being able to not hit whatever is in front of you.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 9:47 AM, muddy said:

A blob of weld and a file would probably solve the issue but really new calipers are not fantastically dear for the peace of mind of being able to not hit whatever is in front of you.

That's looking like the first option, £100 for a new caliper but given it's not the seals/pistons/etc that's faulty and it's perfectly matched with the other side, I'll try this first.

On 6/2/2024 at 12:47 PM, muddy said:

Seen John’s thread and his new calliper?  I much prefer the route of rebuilding callipers and using stainless pistons in the process - they’ll be much more reliable and much longer lasting as a result.

After consulting with a suitable mate with a suitable welder, we agreed that the casting won't take a good weld. Given the purpose of the caliper, happy to buy a new genuine one (found at a very reasonable price).

Perhaps someone else can use mine as a surcharge deposit exchange whatever on a reconditioned one. Then it's down to a professional to assess whether the material can be built up with it taken apart and plenty of heat in it without seals to melt. 

Or they'll just rebuild it without looking over it properly, which is how I suspect I got lumbered with it. Something something circle of life. 

Anyway, this isn't a build thread so not sure this adds any value but that's the end of the saga. 

• Like 2