Brake Disc Thicknes?

Jason2

On some discs it is stamped into the disc around the edge somewhere - I remember seeing 13mm on some but whether all the non vented ones are the same, I don't know.

Its more a judgement call as to whether it looks b**xed or not, i.e. if it looks knackered then it probably is :)

Min thickness is more to do with having them skimmed down to remove grooves but to be honest I wouldn't bother doing this, I'd just fit new discs.

On some discs it is stamped into the disc around the edge somewhere - I remember seeing 13mm on some but whether all the non vented ones are the same, I don't know.

Its more a judgement call as to whether it looks b**xed or not, i.e. if it looks knackered then it probably is :)

Min thickness is more to do with having them skimmed down to remove grooves but to be honest I wouldn't bother doing this, I'd just fit new discs.

QUICK OR WHAT :o

Cheers Bogmonster

Any idea what thickness they are new then?

Mine dont look rough (front) just a little thin :o sort of 10mm thin :o , Haynes just say's min thickness N/A.Got a pad change coming up so I thought that I would change them if need be.

RAVE workshop manual says 12mm min thickness on a 300Tdi age Discovery. I think they are probably about 15mm new? I could go to the parts department and measure one, but there isn't much point as if yours are down to 10mm they definitely need changing!!

If they are that worn there will be a massive lip around the edge which will chew into a new set of brake pads so if you are changing it do the whole lot at the same time ie new pads onto new discs, if you put a new set of pads in and "leave it till next weekend" then you will probably find they are a bit groovy, better to do it all at once.

The other (dangerous) thing that can happen with very thin discs is that the pads can actually fall out of the calipers if the friction material gets worn down nearly to the metal, obviously not on types where the pins go through the pads so your fronts will be OK, but if that does happen then the piston starts chewing into the discs and you need a caliper overhaul as well as discs and pads! If you leave it too long (its amazing how dumb some people are and don't notice huge metallic shrieking noises coming from their brakes...) the piston eventually wears down a bit, falls out of the caliper completely, then you lose your brake fluid and all braking and have a F great big accident.

So trying to eke out a bit more from an old set of discs is not really value for money :)

Front, 299mm diameter x 14.3mm thick.

Rear, 290mm diameter x 12.7mm thick.

:rolleyes:

Thanks once again Bogmonster :D:D , they have obviously been machined before as there is no lip,grooves etc on them, probably why they are so thin toooo :o

Will order a new set of discs with the pads!!

Thanks also phil for the sizes, that's exactly what I was wanting ;)

Jason

We had Disco in where one disk was down to 6.5mm, and the other side was 10mm! I suppose it must be those disk skimmers at it again. Personally I would never ever skim a disk as the wear limits are so close to the 'new' size anyway. The other point is, apart from the cost of fitting the disks, they are very cheap, less than the pads for some reason. And on a Disco I or Defender it gives you a chance to regrease and adjust the bearings at the same time.

ps I know a few guys who have replaced their solid disks with the Defender 110 ventilated disks and calipers. Works a treat, they say and you can get the calipers second hand for very little. One friend of mine swapped his calipers for free as apparently there is a greater call for the Disco calipers so they are happy to swap.