200tdi starter removal

steve_a

Need to replace my starter on the disco and can't seem to find any posts describing the process. I know it is quite fiddly to get to on the defender, but looking at it the disco looks a lot easier in comparision.

So is it just a case of getting in there and doing it or do I need to remove the exhaust front section for access or even worse manifolds etc.

Cheers

Steve

Just had to do this on mine. It is pretty easy:

1) undo the 3 bolts holding the heatshield on and wiggle the heatshield out from below - 7mm spanner

2) undo the earth lead from the back of the starter - 13mm spanner

3) undo the main power supply lead on top of the solenoid - 13mm spanner (you have disconnected the battery before starting... )

4) undo the starter terminal from the solenoid - pull the connector off

5) undo the bottom nut - 17mm socket and short (2") extension

6) undo the outer of the two nuts at the top and reomve the bracket for the heatshield - 17mm socket and 2" extension

7) undo the inner bolt that hols the starter to the bell housing - crack it off with a 17mm socket on a 6" extension and a breaker bar, then it will probably loose, so use either a deep socket and 6" extension or a 2" and a 6" extension with a normal 17mm socket to allow you to get on the bolt head. It's a bit fiddly

8) wiggle the starter down between the exhaust and engine block and remove.

refitting is the reverse of removal, etc. However, when you offer up the starter, put the nut on the outer of the two top bolts while you get the inner one located and threaded in. You will need to undo it to get the heatshield bracket on again, but it helps hold it in place.

Hope that helps

Mark

Many thanks!!!!!

Done a defender one which was a git, downpipe is in the way, but the disco did look more accesible. Off to MM4x4 to get new starter, I was gonna get them to do it (not the weather really is it?) but at around £230 all in that was an extra £130 that I didn't want to pay and thought it seemed a bit much 2 hours for the job?

Hopefully my starter will live for another 48 hours...

Will post piccies of job when done.

Love this place - good answers and quick too

Oh, Incidentally, if you don't have a 13mm ratchet spanner, go to halfords a buy one with some of the £130 you are saving! given the restricted access, it is worth it for this job alone!

(same could be said of the 2" extension bar - probably the one that gets used the most in my socket set!)

enjoy :)

Mark

Did the job today and was going to come back and put some comments in, but just re-read Mark's post and it is absolutely spot on, wish I had paid more attention and removed heat shield right at the start....

Was going to add pictures, but they won't help much and it was too wet today to have the camera hanging about.

One note: Britpart starter was a bit longer and the bracket needed a bit of bending which holds the heat shield, and the main live connection is a bit more tricky to get on because it is a bit longer.

The order as Mark described is important, you CANNOT get that rear most bolt in without removing the live connections first. Also there are 3 different mounting types used (who knows why!!!?).

Bottom is a stud

Outer top is a bolt with nut

inner is a bolt into threaded hole.

you need an open ended 17mm spanner on the end of the bolt with nut to keep it tight or it WILL work loose (my defender starter motor fell off one day last year because of this!)

It is an easier job if you have 2 people, a mate happended to pop around which was good news for me.

Many thanks for instructions Mark, one for the tech archive if you ask me.

wish I had paid more attention and removed heat shield right at the start....

Yeah, guess how I learnt that you needed to do that first!!! :lol:

you need an open ended 17mm spanner on the end of the bolt with nut to keep it tight or it WILL work loose (my defender starter motor fell off one day last year because of this!)

Oh, I had best go and check mine then. It seemed to do up good and tight without me holding the bolt head, so I figured it was captive in some way... :huh:

Many thanks for instructions Mark, one for the tech archive if you ask me.

No problem. :)

Mark

• 4 weeks later...