Discovery 1 axles onto a 110 defender

Hi all, 

I am currently about to begin a full chassis swap on a 200tdi defender and I am looking for some advice regarding axles. Unfortunately, space is a premium as the defender and its new chassis will be stored in different units and will need to be rolled out into the open to work on and rolled back into their respective units at the end of the day. This means that both chassis will need a set of axles and at some point I am going to need to refurb the axles that are currently on the defender..

With this in mind, I have a set of disco 1 axles, complete with A-frame, steering arms, radius arms, trailing arms, shocks, springs etc. that I am looking to fit to my defender just now so that I can remove the current axles and get them refurbished and fitted to the new chassis. 

My question is, will these axles bolt straight to the defender (disco 1 axles to a 1992 defender)? as in, will I be able to remove brake lines, control arm bolts (at chassis end) etc. and drop the whole axles out and put the equivalent disco axle in? To be clear, the defender wont be driven on these axles, just rolled in and out of a unit while it is worked on, so looking for just enough to bolt up that i can get the defender discs out the way and get them refurbed. 

Thanks 

Should be fine, rear disco axle is a popular choice to convert from drums to disc on defenders, some bush sizes might be different, but for just rolling it around, no problem

Regards Stella

53 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Should be fine, rear disco axle is a popular choice to convert from drums to disc on defenders, some bush sizes might be different, but for just rolling it around, no problem

Regards Stella

Cheers Stella,

Wasn't sure if the radius arms, trailing arms etc would be a sure fit. Got a plan then👍

Disco front axle is fine on a 110 it's a straight swap but you will need to swap to 110 front calipers and the radius arms may need to be disconnected as there are two widths. The rear is not rated for a 110, it's fine on a 90 but a 110 needs either a Salisbury or a late td5/puma rover 4pin rear axle.

Mike

2 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Disco front axle is fine on a 110 it's a straight swap but you will need to swap to 110 front calipers and the radius arms may need to be disconnected as there are two widths. The rear is not rated for a 110, it's fine on a 90 but a 110 needs either a Salisbury or a late td5/puma rover 4pin rear axle.

Mike

Hi mike, I'm not too worried about the rating because it will only ever be rolled in and out of my unit by hand (or winch if I start getting @Stellaghost fancy), I wont even be connecting up driveshafts and the callipers will either be left on the axle  but not connected, or removed completely from the axle. Thanks for the heads up about the radius arms though, that's useful info to have. 

Cheers

Should be fine.  I think there was an issue with early RR radius arms having a different thickness, but I believe it was rationalised by the time the Discovery came along.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Should be fine.  I think there was an issue with early RR radius arms having a different thickness, but I believe it was rationalised by the time the Discovery came along.

Thanks for the insight.. I can confirm these were defo off a disco 1 as not only did I remove them from said disco myself..  it was clear the axle had never been off before because every bolt was a nightmare 😂😂

• Haha 1