Clonk from rear end

I've started getting a "clonk" from the rear of my 1986 90 :(

The anoying thing is it started a couple of days after I replaced the rear A-frame bushes and rear shocks.

I've rechecked the new bushes and shocks, checked all the bolts, levered the A-frame balljoint and prop UJ's (can't see any movement) and checked all the exhaust mountings. (there is a little movement where the shocks bolt to the axle but not enough to cause the "clonk")

It clonks (makes a sound and feels like "thump" as if something is moving) both when taking up drive and when going over rough ground. Its possibly a little worse when cornering.

It sounds like something is loose ???

I've run out of things to check now

Anyone got any ideas?

my money was on the A frame being loose,, or the trailing arms have play in them somewhere...

if it doing it round corners as well it would suggest that your axle is trying to move about, but I am no pro, this is just from experiences of my own LR.

I've started getting a "clonk" from the rear of my 1986 90 :(

The anoying thing is it started a couple of days after I replaced the rear A-frame bushes and rear shocks.

I've rechecked the new bushes and shocks, checked all the bolts, levered the A-frame balljoint and prop UJ's (can't see any movement) and checked all the exhaust mountings. (there is a little movement where the shocks bolt to the axle but not enough to cause the "clonk")

It clonks (makes a sound and feels like "thump" as if something is moving) both when taking up drive and when going over rough ground. Its possibly a little worse when cornering.

It sounds like something is loose ???

I've run out of things to check now

Anyone got any ideas?

Check the splines on the rear propshaft. I had this on my old 90 and it took me months and months to find and I changed nearly everything. Pull the handbrake on hard and rock the vehicle gently back and forth against the handbrake and it should show up. I can only guess it was oscillations in the wheel speeds going over rough ground, but it was really noticeable inside the vehicle despite there being not that much wear in the prop splines - but a new prop cured it.

Did you put new bushes on the top shock mount ? get hold of the shock near the top and see if it has any sideways play in it.

When i changed the rear axle on my 90 to a disco one i put everything back as it was on the shocks but something was rattling. I had to put a extra washer on the inside of the top bush so the shock sat tight on the bushes.