Un SORNing a vehicle

Guest MJG

Just checking my understanding of what is involved in bringing a vehicle out of being SORNed and what it says on the DVLA website.

To bring it back onto the road and re-tax it I need a valid MOT (it is older than three years)

The vehicle in question hasn't but I understand I can (also ensuring it is insured) bring it back on the road un taxed as long as it is to drive directly to a pre-booked appt. for an MOT.

Once MOT'd I will have all the docs I need to re-tax it.

To those folks in here who will have done this many times before is my understanding correct????

Many thanks.

pretty much correct. but the MOT centre has to be reasonably the more direct one and the most direct route from your place to the test station.

i.e. you couldn't buy a SORN'ed vehicle in Scotland, book and MOT in London and drive it down to bring it home so to speak.

Then once you get it, its just a case of walking into the post office, filling in the form and getting the disk. The only other issue i think i have encountered was that the insurance has to expire at a date beyond the current month you are taxing it in. I've once been refused cause I was getting a tax disc on the 20th of the month, my MOT had month's left, but my insurance certificate ( which I had renewed and was in the post ) was expiring on the 29th, 2 days short of the end of the month. The lady refused to issue the tax disc.

So i went "OK". Sauntered off the next Post Office and got the disc there without fuss.

Cheers folks,

There is an MOT station we normally use only about a quarter of a mile from where the vehicle is currently located so I would pretty much have a job I think justifying any sort of deviation.

Many thanks again.

but the MOT centre has to be reasonably the more direct one and the most direct route from your place to the test station.

That's what I thought so I asked the DVLA for a definitive answer and all they said was the MOT must b pre-booked. I specifically asked them if it had to be the nearest MOT station and they did not answer that question.

I recently sold a car here in Sheffield to a guy in Nottingham. He booked an MOT near to him and drove the car home.

HOW FAR CAN I DRIVE TO THE TEST STATION?

I am aware that a car that does not have a current MOT Certificate is not allowed to be used on the road except when going for repairs for a test, or to a prearranged test. Is there a milage limit as to how far a car can be driven without an MOT if it is going to a test centre - ie can one drive 40miles in the car if it to be to an MOT appointment with a garage?

No there is no mileage limit. - MOT

This came off of the following sites Q&A.

http://www.motester.co.uk/mot-qanda3.html

When I had a little enforced chat to the boys in blue about my newly purchased car and SORN, the reply was it is an offence to drive a vehicle on the road that is subject to a SORN period!

As I have two vehicles on a SORN that I will wish to return to the road, I am very interested in how this topic comes out? :blink:

When I had a little enforced chat to the boys in blue about my newly purchased car and SORN, the reply was it is an offence to drive a vehicle on the road that is subject to a SORN period!

As I have two vehicles on a SORN that I will wish to return to the road, I am very interested in how this topic comes out? :blink:

I suspect the issue was you were not on your way to a pre-booked MOT and just driving it after you had purchased it, all be it you may have been going directly home but that I suspect does not count.

Otherwise if it is a blanket offence you would be stuffed if you SORN a car and it's MOT expires, because you then couldn't tax it because it doesn't have an MOT and you couldn't drive it to an MOT because it wasn't taxed catch 22 :huh:

Even in 'Blair's barmy Britain' things haven't I don't think gone that bonkers..... have they????

Just to add to the confusion :ph34r::rolleyes:

Last time I went to tax a SORN'd vehicle, the bloke behind the counter at the post office said he needed to see the letter that DVLA sent me when I SORN'd it, aswell as all the normal docs. Was this just my local PO being a pain in the bum? do I look dodgey or summink? Took me over an hour to find the letter safely filed away in pile of paperwork that had been the basis of a scientific experiment to see how long it would take Jen to clear it up :lol::lol: (I am so gonna get in trouble now!!)

Dan

Just to add to the confusion :ph34r::rolleyes:

Last time I went to tax a SORN'd vehicle, the bloke behind the counter at the post office said he needed to see the letter that DVLA sent me when I SORN'd it, aswell as all the normal docs. Was this just my local PO being a pain in the bum? do I look dodgey or summink? Took me over an hour to find the letter safely filed away in pile of paperwork that had been the basis of a scientific experiment to see how long it would take Jen to clear it up :lol::lol: (I am so gonna get in trouble now!!)

Dan

Had SORN been invented the last time Bertha was on the road? :ph34r:

I suspect the issue was you were not on your way to a pre-booked MOT and just driving it after you had purchased it, all be it you may have been going directly home but that I suspect does not count.

Otherwise if it is a blanket offence you would be stuffed if you SORN a car and it's MOT expires, because you then couldn't tax it because it doesn't have an MOT and you couldn't drive it to an MOT because it wasn't taxed catch 22 :huh:

Even in 'Blair's barmy Britain' things haven't I don't think gone that bonkers..... have they????

I keep waiting for the day your have to trailer a motor to the MOT, it can't be far awwy :huh: