Fuel filler cap

Could someone help clear this up for me.

I currently have an 1985 110 2.5NA which started out life as a 2.25P and am getting sick to death of it spewing out Diesel from the filler cap when the tank is more than half full (sorry all of those who have bikes :rolleyes: ).

According to microcat both the petrol and Diesel from AA onwards (mine being BA) should have the plastic locking cap type (RTC4740 vented or RTC4740 non-vented), however I seem to have an old series type pressed steel, 3-lug one?

What I would like to know are:-

1) Do you think the series cap is original fit or a replacement when the conversion was done?

2) Can I just replace the cap with the later one or will I need to replace the whole damn system :angry:

3) What the hell is the difference between vented and non-vented, are vented for petrols and non-vented for Diesels?

4) If so to No 3 then could that be why my current cap is leaking, because it's vented?

Thanks. M@

Very early 110/127's had the series style of fuel cap, the later black one & matching fill neck should be one your truck as you've guessed from the chassis number, upto chassis AA259678 was the early type of cap, maybe yours was changed by a previous owner.

vented caps allow air into the tank to replace the fuel thats bieng used by the engine.

i would stick with what you have

I would guess that the seal has worn and would suggest improving the seal, you can do this by rmeoving the old seal and replacing it with something similar (innner tube maybe cut to size) or fit innner tube under the exisiting seal to make it prouder then the locking mechanisum when you do it up shoudl squash them down.

you cant fit non-venting to one that shoudl be venting witout some mods, unless you want an imploded fuel tank!

You can buy a filler neck extension from Land Rover.

This fits into the filler tube on the pin in the tube.The idea is that you don't have to carry a funnel to fill from jerry cans. It also helps to stop the flow of fuel out of the filler neck.

You could try going round corners a bit slower :D:o

mike FOAK

Knickers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

You can buy a filler neck extension from Land Rover.

This fits into the filler tube on the pin in the tube.The idea is that you don't have to carry a funnel to fill from jerry cans. It also helps to stop the flow of fuel out of the filler neck.

You could try going round corners a bit slower :D:o

mike FOAK

Knickers

I take it you've never driven around Devon....!! :blink:

I hate to say this, but diesel out of the filler cap is almost inevitable. Mine has no wear on the seal, the tabs cannot be bent as the metal is so damn thick, so I must assume it's all OK.

I even had the breathers checked as well as the cap when a new tank went in last September. All pronounced OK.

BUT she still leaks. Like Mike said, going round corners slower, especially with a full tank certainly helps (obviously) but that's about it. I'm resigned to it and feel very guilty for the poor sod who slips on it.

I know Devon's roads VERY well. Hope the sheep don't slip either.

I take it you've never driven around Devon....!! :blink:

You haven't seen.. :o

A The way I drive...

B Some of the roads I drive.

My Range Rover spilt diesel out at the slightest five degree bend/corner. I made and fitted one of the filler neck tubes. That reduced the spillage bu 80%. The funny thing is I dont "seem" to have that problem with my 110.

mike FOAK

Knickers