Swivel Lubricant

Hello gents!

What is the best type of Lubricant for the front swivels??

Obviously I could use the normal EP80/90 multi grade but is there anything better? Waterproof grease?

I'd like to use something a little thicker to help keep leaks to a minimum. I've heard some people mention "one shot swivel grease" but is this any good? where do I get it and who's is best?

Thanks for all your help...again! :)

I do not believe that there is waterproof grease. All grease shold come without water...

But to be a bit more serious, water you keep out by regularly checking the condition of the seals, and making sure that the breather on your axle is not clogged. Its the seals that keep the water out.

For lubrication, the discussion is what you are doing with the vehicle. One-shot grease is easy, but the swivels are a b1tch to clean if contaminated. EP is easier as it is much more liquid, but would need good seals to keep the EP in and the water out.

I've got one-shot grease in mine.

Around £5 per side for a plastic tube per side. Drain out old EP90 and warm grease in warm water for 10 mins to improve its liquidity before filling swivels.

There's no real right or wrong way. I have heard that if your swivels have no drian plug at the bottom of the swivels, then fill with 1-shot.

More important is ensuring the swivels have the correct amount of lubricant in them. :)

Around £5 per side for a plastic tube per side. Drain out old EP90 and warm grease in warm water for 10 mins to improve its liquidity before filling swivels.

Shouldn't that be viscosity, liquidity is a marketing term! ;):D

I'd like to use something a little thicker to help keep leaks to a minimum.

If using it off road/wading the problem is if you get water leaks in. If oil leaks out you know you have a duff seal and can replace, with grease you can have a duff seal and water can get in even if no grease is leaking out so you don't know there is a problem.

I've used both in the past but tend to use EP90 now. You know if the seals buggered, and it's easy to change (unless you have late swivels designed fro grease than have no drain plug)

Thanks all the comments chaps!

The vehicle is only ever used off road..and when we go playing we like to get very wet indeed! (see pic!)

I think, given the fact I currently don't know how good/bad my seals are, i'll stick with the EP80/90 for now, see if it leaks, then make a decision when I know what the seals are like. How long should the seals last? Anyone tried swivel gaiters??

Thanks again!! :)

post-2678-1173114207_thumb.jpg

I have used the leather gaiters before - and I would never use them again. I found that after a while they got small nicks in them which went unnoticed for a while. When I removed the gaiters (because I found the nicks), the gaiters were full of wet sand, grit etc, which of course was being forced against the ball and seal everytime the steering was turned.

Never tried the rubber 'Bailcast' ones though.

Regards,

Diff.

Hello gents!

What is the best type of Lubricant for the front swivels??

Obviously I could use the normal EP80/90 multi grade but is there anything better? Waterproof grease?

I'd like to use something a little thicker to help keep leaks to a minimum. I've heard some people mention "one shot swivel grease" but is this any good? where do I get it and who's is best?

Thanks for all your help...again! :)

I switched to one-shot grease when my seals died. Got almost another year out of them before the grease started pouring out. Now that I'd done the seals, I'm back on EP90. I reckon that seeing it was designed for EP90, that it'll be better for it than grease. Plus grease is more difficult to flush out.