Wiring problem.

Les Henson

The SWB that I was recently given has had a few modifications - namely two raised rear brake lights, a revers light, and a pair of fog lamps. I'm getting it ready for the MOT and have been cleaning it out today and checking it over. The wiring is, well - very interesting. Unfortunately electrics is not my strong point and I'm going to have fun sorting all this lot out! :huh:

Rear left corner:-

Wiring01-copy.jpg

Rear right corner:-

Wiring02-copy.jpg

Les. :)

Well in total there were 32 seperate wires at the back of the vehicle, most of which weren't connected, so I don't know what the plan was. There was 2 x 7-core trailer cables going from front to back. The end of one was coiled up on the dash and connected to nothing. I don't know where the end of the second one was - I just pulled it and about 8-feet of it appeared from inside the body capping! There were also 2-HUGE speakers on the rear bulkhead, one small speaker fixed to the front shelf, so another 6-wires when I removes those. Originally there are just 4-wires going from front to back, and they wre still there, so a bit of testing with a 12v lamp to make sure they were ok, and I re-connected everything. All lights work ok now.

I don't have a clue as to why there were so many wires in the damn thing though.

Les. :)

I know the feeling - removed about 1.5 wiring looms worth of wiring from my truck when I got it that just wasnt doing anything! God only knows what it was supposed to have done........

Still keep finding odd dodgy bits of wiring even now! (And no they're not all bits of dodgy wiring that have been done by me!)

Jon