Discovery A Bar

Baloo

To be honest, though some of the A bars have things that look like recovery points, I wouldn't use them to pull more than a wheelbarrow.

Yep, good point BM, thought it could be an issue

Would you say the same about recovery points on steering guards etc?

Wheres the best place to put recovery shackles then, I don't really wat to replace the front bumper with a winch one... ?

Ta

Baloo

There is something available which I think is called a "Jackmate" though I forget who makes them - may be David Bowyers? Basically it is a bracket which bolts on and gives a jacking point on the front of RR/Discovery and a towing point too - you buy them in pairs. That would be my choice, though the HD recovery eyes on the steering guards made by Rebel 4x4 etc are probably fine too.

My concerns about the A bars come from the fact that 1) I have seen them break on rough roads without being used for recovery! and 2) I have also seen one pulled off before with not much effort... the fact they encourage people to try using them for recovery is bl**dy dangerous IMHO.

I've got a steel steering guard on my 300Tdi disco, with built in recovery points and jacking tubes..

Its very strong, although i do tend to use both sides with a bridle for really heavy pulls..

you can get them for about £80, I reckon its good value really as they do more than one job, steering protection, recovery points and jacking tubes...

med_gallery_169_181_53024.jpg

you do need to trim a bit of material of the plastic number plate plinth if you go for this option, but it cuts easy enough with a Stanley knife...

looks exactly the same pete... I've since fitted the same H/D track rods as you (looking at your photo) as I got fed up with bending the standard ones...

Thanks Y'all. Found the steering guard you suggest on Paddocks (PM610). Was it a fairly easy bolt on fit ?

Baloo

For the record I had those "Jackmate" things and they bent first time out. All I did was pull a mates disco back down a small mound when it was crossed axled. Hammer would sort it but i wouldn't like to use them on anything serious ...

cheers

TPK

Thanks Y'all. Found the steering guard you suggest on Paddocks (PM610). Was it a fairly easy bolt on fit ?

Baloo

Also, looks like I'll need to remove the front spoiler, and trim down the bumper ends................ or have you fitted an earlier bumper version ?

Ta again !

Baloo

post-3050-1173905841_thumb.jpg

yep, you need to remove the centre section, and run a saw across the bottom of the end caps...

you can trim the end caps whilst they are on the vehicle.. but mind you don't catch the tyre with the saw.

as for the steering guard, yeah, it was fairly easy to fit, the toughest bit was getting the bolt out that runs through the steering box mounting... it was rusted in, and had to be shown the big hammer...

other than that, it was OK, they are quite heavy, so if you've got a mate around then it would be easier, I fitted mine myself in a couple of hours....

hope this helps.. oh and as for the jack mates, they are flimsy because they are just a flat piece of metal, any hint of a sideways pull and they'll just bend. best avoided in my opinion.

When I originally fitted the guard to mine I made the centre section removable and retained the rest of the lower spoiler and the fog lights etc, Sorry no pics. I had no problems removing any of the bolts on mine but I don't think mine had seen any mud/water before I got it so I may have been lucky.

Pete.

For the record I had those "Jackmate" things and they bent first time out. All I did was pull a mates disco back down a small mound when it was crossed axled. Hammer would sort it but i wouldn't like to use them on anything serious ...

cheers

TPK

OK well I have to say I have not used them but I thought they looked like a good solution. Evidently not then :)