More I T bother

BogMonster

Can somebody answer a couple of network thickie questions:

1) Do you require any special cables for 100Mbit network connections?

I am having problems with some stuff at work which will work fine through the 10MBit hub in my office but take it into another office (same kit, same cables, same settings) and it will not work at 100MBit through the network socket in that office - but it should do (for example my Tosh laptop will connect to my desktop PC at home at 100, will connect to the office network at 10 through the hub, but won't connect to the office network at 100 - though the settings and cables are all the same; I have the same problem with a WiFi access point I am trying to set up which works in one office but not the other). All using std network cables with RJ45 connectors on if that makes any difference.

2) How do you tell the difference between a normal RJ45 patch cable and a crossover cable if it isn't labelled?

Twice now I have ended up buying crossover cables not patch cables because they were poorly labelled in the shop - there is nothing on them to say they are crossover cables but from connecting them up I know they are - but I am not sure how to tell the difference from the pin wiring etc - is there an easy way? what exactly is the difference - are there just 2 wires transposed or what?

Do you require any special cables for 100Mbit network connections?

Can't recall what is the min spec cable for 100M but Cat5 is certainly ok. Most cables you buy these days will be Cat5, the category of cable will be printed on the side of it along with some other info.

How do you tell the difference between a normal RJ45 patch cable and a crossover cable if it isn't labelled?

Look at the colours of the inner cables in teh RJ45 plug at each end, they should be in the same order for a straight through cable. Cross over cables have two wires transposed, off hand can't remember which two.

Nope - you can run gigabit on cat 5 no problem. There is no difference in cabling between a 10 and 100 meg lead.

To tell the difference the colour codes will be different each end. If its straight thorugh both end s will be the same. Look throught the connector with the trigger facing the floor and the colours from left to right should be:-

Orange/white

orange

green/white

blue

blue/white

green

brown/white

brown

A straight through will be the same both ends.

An x over will be the above one end and the other end will be

green/white

green

orange/white

blue

blue/white

orange

brown/white

brown

Basically on an x over the oranges and the greens are swapped over on one end.

Easiest to buy a drum of cable, the ends and crimp tool and make your own up - thats what we do here!!!

HTH

Jon

Easiest to buy a drum of cable, the ends and crimp tool and make your own up - thats what we do here!!!

HTH

Jon

Thanks ... I might see if I can blag some cable from somewhere as the home-made ones our IT person made for us seem to be the only ones that last any time! the made-up ones you buy from the shops seem to be rubbish

Does the kit that does not work at 100Mb have 10/100 network card or just 10Mb?

Does that kit work in "another office" at 10Mb?

Use your Tosh to check the "bad" network outlet for operation at 100Mb.

The switch ports can be configured for 10-100-auto. Always leave them on auto and let the switch work for a living.

Crossed cables, 4 wires are moved.

When you find crossed cables on your site always mark them with a piece of red tape.

jw

that's the thing - no consistency

My Tosh works at home (patch cable) at 100 to the Dell desktop, works at work 10 to the hub, but not at 100 to a socket in another office. Another laptop works fine at 100 into the same socket (different cable though)

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

I hate networks :angry:

Now I have Jon W's guide to telling cables apart I was going to do exactly what you suggest and mark them all as to what they are. I can't believe the manufacturers can't be bothered to do this :angry: