Gap Road

There's a large hole appeared in the Gap Road about half a mile up from the South end - looks like water's taken the surface off (it's on a section of boggy ground on the edge of the forest, opposite a drainage ditch) then some numpty's spun their wheels in the ruts and before you know it... I've got a trashed driver's door and wing as evidence that you can fit a Range Rover in the hole :(

Not funny explaining that one to the passing walkers... :o

I think VeryDisco and RobHybrid are going to report it to GLASS and hopefully get it sorted, but meantime best not drive that end of the road.

Hi Geoff

It was there this time a year ago and in same condition in March, so I assume that there is no immediate rush to fix it. Before it was usefully filled with rocks and the logs that fling up and smash the underside of the LR :rolleyes:

cheers

Steve

Hi Geoff

It was there this time a year ago and in same condition in March, so I assume that there is no immediate rush to fix it. Before it was usefully filled with rocks and the logs that fling up and smash the underside of the LR :rolleyes:

cheers

Steve

Well, at least be warned that you are unlikely to get through without a winch or a tow from the other side of the hole, even going downhill...and if you try, you're going to make it a hole lot worse :rolleyes:

Hi Geoff

cheers

Steve

may be a stupid suggestion but since this is a known problem, is it not possible for a bunch of people to dirve there with a bunch of spades to "repair" the bad section? Judging by the size of it, it sounds like a of trailers with hardcore would be required.

Would permission to do this sort of work be required?

I'd help but Scotland(?) is a bit too far.

Yes you need permission, insurance etc it's quite complicated actually.

I think they actually prefer it if it is like this to put 4x4's off. Last time I was there I spoke to one of the Rangers that had been called out and he said the problem with only opening the few months of the year they get some real "Persons Resembling a Pink Starfish" going there. They get called out 2-3 times a day by ramblers and mountain bikers at the weekend when it's open reporting 4x4 drivers.

Had to agree with him as when I was up there last a group of about 10 assorted 4x4's had driven up on to the grass section at the top of the gap for either a better pic or group photo. It was that bunch that was reported and that he'd cometo meet.

Cheers

Steve