defender bulkhead

Pat

HAs anyone fitted a defender bulkhead to seris three??? I am about to do this to mine and was wondering what the problems i may come across might be? I have heard that the steering column is too close to the brake master cylnder housing any comments?? Any advice would be helpful.

Pat

There are a number of differences. For example the windscreen mounts bolt onto the defender bulkhead, whereas they're welded to the series one.

However the two biggest differences you find are that the footwells are a completely different shape to those on a series and you'll have a bit of fun trying to fit series pedal boxes etc to it. I would use the 90 pedals, master cylinders etc, (giving you the advantage of a bigger servo and dual circuit brakes). The series steering should bolt up onto it - cant see it would get in the way of the brake master, as its the same diameter as the 90 one is anyway.

Other one that'll casue you a load of agro is the trans tunnel/floor panels, as its all totally different on a 90 so you'll have to make/modify trans tunnel, floor panels etc.

Jon

Our series 3 is in mid conversion (in pieces) i will take some pics later.. another problem is the steering column doesnt fit between the clutch and brake peddle boxes. so you have to move one across 1/2 inch.

in our honest opinion we now wish we had just got a better condition s3 bulkhead and made any repairs to that.

I have a Defender bulkhead on my 1970 88".

I could go into detail here, but it's much easier to point you at the relevent page of MY WEBSITE.

There IS an issue with clearance on the drop arm, and with the positioning of the pedal boxes. Series pedal boxes will bolt straight on, so I can't see that using defender pedal boxes will help in any way. You could fit a defender steering column, but that will give you a raft of new problems trying to fit the defender steering box to the front crossmember. Far easier to weld a fresh plate over the pedal box holes and re cut them in the correct position for a series.

Cheers, Nick

I have a Defender bulkhead on my 1970 88".

I could go into detail here, but it's much easier to point you at the relevent page of MY WEBSITE.

There IS an issue with clearance on the drop arm, and with the positioning of the pedal boxes. Series pedal boxes will bolt straight on, so I can't see that using defender pedal boxes will help in any way. You could fit a defender steering column, but that will give you a raft of new problems trying to fit the defender steering box to the front crossmember. Far easier to weld a fresh plate over the pedal box holes and re cut them in the correct position for a series.

Cheers, Nick

This is what i had thought , so thanks for the confirmation. Do you have the dimensions for the cut out for the drop arm clearance section. I take it the pedal boxes just need re positioning to tthe left or right? Do you have the measurements for the positions of the bolt holes for the pedal boxes. Was it as simple as using the series foot well as a template?

nice site by the way

cheers

pat

This is what i had thought , so thanks for the confirmation. Do you have the dimensions for the cut out for the drop arm clearance section. I take it the pedal boxes just need re positioning to tthe left or right? Do you have the measurements for the positions of the bolt holes for the pedal boxes. Was it as simple as using the series foot well as a template?

nice site by the way

Thanks!

Drop Arm cut-out

I don't remember taking accurate dimemtions for this, but if you measure the vertical face height of the defender footwell and subtract that of the series footwell, that will give you the required dimention from the lower right corner of the vertical face (looking from the in front of the bulkhead) up AND down. These two cuts must be an equal distance from the corner if you want to reuse the removed section to fill the hole!

The other dimention is worked out as flush with the bracket to which the steering box is bolted. This is actually a bit further than needed, and may reduce clutch pedal travel.

Pedal Boxes

The clutch pedal box remains in the same place, so it is possible to use this as a datum point, and take measurements from a series footwell. IIRC the brake pedal box is approx 1" further from the clutch pedal box. I had to get a steel plate of about 2mm thick and mounted both pedal boxes on that.

Cheers, Nick