Diesel and LPG

Strange question, possibly, but a mate emailed me today asking the following.

Can a diesel be converted to run LPG, by the tone of the question i assume he was thinking along the lines of LPG to be used as it would in a petrol.

IIRC, LPG can be run in a diesel, but its used as a performance enhancer?

LPG can be used as a performance enhancer or the engine can be converted to run on LPG only. This involves converting the engine to spark ignition and lowering the compression ratio.

Not worthwhile for cars, although it may be on busses and the like.

Guest diesel_jim
Isn't it a propane injection system on a diesel?

Les

Yes, Allisport do an injectio kit for Tdi's. very neat.

a mate of mine has it on his 2.8 international Tdi, how many times can you say "power".... :D:D:D:D

Yes, Allisport do an injectio kit for Tdi's. very neat.

a mate of mine has it on his 2.8 international Tdi, how many times can you say "power".... :D:D:D:D

These guys do LPG conversions for diesel black cabs. Looks interesting, but a lot of work!

http://www.jaymic.com/lpgblackcabs/default.asp

This is a full conversion, I've not seen LPG used as a performance enhancer for oil burners

Andy

Strange question, possibly, but a mate emailed me today asking the following.

Can a diesel be converted to run LPG, by the tone of the question i assume he was thinking along the lines of LPG to be used as it would in a petrol.

IIRC, LPG can be run in a diesel, but its used as a performance enhancer?

When the Nas had an LPG tank installed there was a guy with a Merc 4x4 (whatever it's called 350 450?) and a performance enhancing LPG conversion had just been installed. His little eyes lit up explaining the merits of the LPG injection switch when about to overtake in his diesel, scalded cat, rabbit down a hole all spring to mind! Costs a bit more to run, but if you can afford a Merc then I guess a bit of LPG boost for overtaking is affordable. :lol::rolleyes:

Hi , Tinley tech are who we use for petrol lpg conversions and also diesel gas injection. The diesel system is in theory capable of reducing fuel cost per mile IF you can resist the temptation to put your foot down :lol::lol: IIRC its something like 15% increase in efficiency...... or power.The 300Tdi my brother did at his place felt noticably smoother and more pull on acceleration, can't confirm if they are more economical tho as the company he did the conv. for use it for heavy towing so they were looking for more torque/power anyway ;) . TT are helpful tho if you have more q's

HTH

Steveb