Wonky Disco!

cabbageboy

Hi Guys

I'm newish to Landrovers, so I'm looking to those more knowledgable!!

I have a 92 Disco 200 Tdi, which had a 'bit of a lean' to the Drivers side - particularly noticable at the back end.

I thought - 'just worn springs, etc' - so as part of my preparations for off-road activity (inc fitting dislocation cones), I have replaced ALL springs, shocks, and front turrets.

I used the Brittpart Offroad Yellow kit that Paddocks sell, with the yellow uprated turrets at the front...

Guess what? - yep, still got a lean!

(And yes, I do have the vehicle on a flat surface, with nothing inside the car)

Here are the measurements from wheel centre to wheen arch:

N/S/F - 20"

O/S/F - 19.5"

N/S/R - 19.5"

N/S/R - 18"

That's 1 and a half inches difference side to side!

Question is - is this normal? - If not, what else is wrong to cause that type of problem? - bent chassis?

(And yes, I do have the vehicle on a flat surface, with nothing inside the car)

Here are the measurements from wheel centre to wheen arch:

N/S/F - 20"

O/S/F - 19.5"

N/S/R - 19.5"

N/S/R - 18"

That's 1 and a half inches difference side to side!

Question is - is this normal? - If not, what else is wrong to cause that type of problem? - bent chassis?

ha the disco lean the old 200's seem to do it the best may be cos they don't have anti roll bars... Just get your passengers to sit on the other side :ph34r:

and sorry but did you get the correct springs on the front and back when you replaced them?

I up rated all all my springs the old ones are/were very soft and now its level (when i am not siting in it :lol: ) and its level with two up...

You can get handed springs (ome ones i think) where the right (or drivers side) springs are a bit longer as the car should always have driver in it :blink:

I am afraid to say it, but, 'yeah, they do that....'

It is possible to fit spring isolation rings to correct the lean. I am afraid I don't have the part number to hand, but they are essentially 3/4" thick rubber rings which are fitted onto the spring seats, thus lengthening the spring (effectively).

Guys - thanks!

Thanks for all your responses - it's great to know it's 'normal' ;)

For clarification, Yes, I did fit the right springs to front and rear (They were the uprated Brittpart ones).

And there was no percievable or marked difference between sides (N/S versus O/S) - both side springs appeared to be identical in length and appearance prior to fitting...

Oh well, it doesn't really matter - I'll just have to get fat passengers!