Hazard lights and indicator fault

Our 97 defender 90 has just failed it's MOT due to faulty indicators/hazard warning lights failure. They all worked fine when I left for the garage this morning and have developed this fault whilst it was stood on the forecourt waiting, hmmm.

The fuses in the box are all ok and intact and the relay and lights are fine as when I arm the alarm they all work ie indicators flash and you can hear the relay click, so the fault seems to lie elsewhere. Has anyone else encountered this problem? or can anyone suggest where/what else to check.

many thanks

most likely a fault within the hazard light switch as indicators & hazard function through this, try another switch to confirm.

Welcome to LR4x4 too :D

Thanks for the speedy reply and greeting....

I've been told that the switch is fine as it's just been tested. Any ideas as to where the flasher unit is as the manual does not show it and it's cold and dark outside.

flasher unit is behind the fusebox, take the cover off below the dash [2 x large thumbwheel screws] pull back the matting & remove the 2 x cross head screws, flasher unit should be a blue translucent [ possibly Hella] relay with a multiplug on its lower end, it maybe clipped to the fusebox panel.

hope a new unit sorts the fault.

LR part number is STC4252 [if it's a 2 pin RTC3562 now superseded by STC4252 unit] or PRC8876 if it's the hella unit you should be able to source one from other suppliers instead of main dealer.

flasher unit is behind the fusebox, take the cover off below the dash [2 x large thumbwheel screws] pull back the matting & remove the 2 x cross head screws, flasher unit should be a blue translucent [ possibly Hella] relay with a multiplug on its lower end, it maybe clipped to the fusebox panel.

hope a new unit sorts the fault.

LR part number is STC4252 [if it's a 2 pin RTC3562 now superseded by STC4252 unit] or PRC8876 if it's the hella unit you should be able to source one from other suppliers instead of main dealer.

Thanks :) It is a faulty flasher unit. We can put the dash back together now and adopt hand signals for a trip to the local land rover supplier tomorrow. :o

• 2 weeks later...

We replaced the flasher unit with a unipart PRC8876 and everything was fine to get the ticket for the Land Rover :D but now everytime we use something electrical in the car this relay clicks :angry: . We've since replaced the hazard switch and checked the earths on the vehicle but can find nothing else to stop this relay clicking. Any ideas?

On another note last year we had problems with the immobiliser cutting in whilst driving along last year or after parking it up and not being able to start the vehicle for ages. This happened during this MOT after the flasher unit went and the mechanic couldn't start it to move it. Could there be a connection?

Flasher [indicator] relay is meant to click so it can be heard, it's part of the regulationss to have a audile & visual indication the system is working when in use.

have a read of the immobiliser 'spider' thread in the tech archive, it could be that causing the fault, don't think it'll be the flasher relay causing it.

Flasher [indicator] relay is meant to click so it can be heard, it's part of the regulationss to have a audile & visual indication the system is working when in use.

have a read of the immobiliser 'spider' thread in the tech archive, it could be that causing the fault, don't think it'll be the flasher relay causing it.

I don't think it's meant to click when I open the electric windows, put the car in reverse, use the cigarette lighter, open the door, use the wipers and turn the radio on etc etc.... I can hear that relay click with just about everything I use. The old flasher relay unit only clicked when in use as expected the old one was a hella and the indicator sound was louder.

I've read that thread about the f/f immobiliser we did fit a blanking unit to stop the fault.

I don't think it's meant to click when I open the electric windows, put the car in reverse, use the cigarette lighter, open the door, use the wipers and turn the radio on etc etc.... I can hear that relay click with just about everything I use. The old flasher relay unit only clicked when in use as expected the old one was a hella and the indicator sound was louder.

refit the old unit & see if it stops the clicking when other switches/circuits are used, if the clicking does stop the latest new one is probably faulty. it can't be fitted incorrectly as the terminal layout will only fit in one position.

• 9 months later...

have just found this thread doing a search

did you find any joy with the new relay footo?

my defender is doing the same thing just now - inidcators on - nothing - hazards on - one click of the relay and then nothing

did you find it to be the relat after all?

also how easy is it to get a replacement relay? do halfords have them?

cheers