Which are the better tyres?

Which of these is the better tyre, they are both based on the Simex Extreme Trekker tread pattern, but Simex's are hard to get and freakishly expensive.

I've heard from one source that the remoulds of this tread pattern don't work that well and lose their edge very quickly.

Any views comments on which of these is best and how each compare to the Simex's. For arguments sake assume a single size 235/85R16.

Insa Turbo - Special Track

specialtrack.jpg

Available from places like Paddock Spares http://www.paddockspares.com

Fedima Trekker

sirocco%20006_edited.jpg

http://www.kingoffroad.co.uk/ortyres.html

I have a set of 265/75R16 Insa Turbos which I don't use any more because they are too noisy for every day tyres and not wide enough for the occasional set.

The ones in this size are MUCH bigger than the same size BFG etc (an inch taller and about an inch wider contact patch on the ground).

No sign of any significant wear, I suppose they might have done 1000 miles in total something like that.

No idea on the Fedima never seen a set but I should imagine there isn't much to choose between them. The price of either of the remould options makes me wonder why anybody would pay twice as much for a tyre with the same pattern that is still awful on the road and will still go pop if you stick something sharp through it.

The price of either of the remould options makes me wonder why anybody would pay twice as much for a tyre with the same pattern that is still awful on the road and will still go pop if you stick something sharp through it.

If only that difference remained at the 35" sizes :angry::angry:

I have the insa turbo's, they are about a year old now with about 2000 road miles and a minimum of 30 playdays on them, and they are wearing well.

A friend has the Fedima's on his G wagon, and they are wearing well also!

Comparing the two side by side, the fedima does seem to be finished off better and has more tread on the side wall.

Yup, 35" fedimas are only something like £20 cheaper than Simex, i think.

When I bought my Fedimas last year they were about £75 cheaper than the equivilent sized Simex , Comparing them the Fedima stood at 36.5" tall so gearing problems happened ,

But the tyres are brilliant and are wearing very well , I have been told by my tyre fitter that they were remoulded using Michelen commercial carcasses at guess 900x16.

The Fedima's have a slightly more agressive thread, with alternating lugs.

The Insa's are more comparable to Blackstar Mud Max. A friend of mine sticks to the Mud Max because he's afraid the Fedima's will put too much strain on his halfshafts. Before deciding he put both brands side to side so we could see the differences. ;)