Failed emisions

Right after an extensive rebuild. (see below)

MOT day was today but she failed on emisions in a big way. Looks like not all 4 cylinders are playing ball.

Now this is quite an expensive do as its £25 per retest so I need to get it right.

What should I check?

I've had the head of and the old head was replaced with a better looking one, I'll recheck the tappets but are there other items I should test to make sure that I'll pass the dreaded MOT?

Its a 2.5 NAD btw

Done

New Master cylinder

New Slave

New rear Wheel bearings and Oil seals

New rear shoes

New discs & pads

Full service

New PAS box

New PAS pump (& pipes to fit - a saga in itself)

New Rocker cover (my fault - I put a new gasket on and over tighten the middle bolt - it shattered)

New Glow plugs

Welded in New Footwells

Welded Front Chassis Leg

Welded Front O/S Outrigger

New Gear Knobs Vanity

New Gear Gaiter Vanity

Replaced Front Brake Pipes

New Wheels and tyres (tubeless off my 300TDi)

New Battery

Timing Belt

New Steering Damper

New Gearbox Oil

New Rear Diff Oil

New Front Diff Oil

New Fuel & Oil Filter

New Engine Oil

Fit New Radiator

Were the injectors checked for spray pattern, correct operating pressure,shutting off correctly might be worth doing that & restting the pump timing & using some good quailty injector cleaner/lubricant [Millers seems to be quite popular on here]

Right after an extensive rebuild. (see below)

MOT day was today but she failed on emisions in a big way. Looks like not all 4 cylinders are playing ball.

Now this is quite an expensive do as its £25 per retest so I need to get it right.

What should I check?

I've had the head of and the old head was replaced with a better looking one, I'll recheck the tappets but are there other items I should test to make sure that I'll pass the dreaded MOT?

The reason for extensive smoking should always be investigated and any encountered problems resolved, but if you just need to get the vehicle though emissions test then add some 10% til 15% of kerosene to the diesel fuel before the test. Kerosone burns much cleaner than diesel, but lacks the lubricating properties of diesel, which is why one shouldnt overdo it.

Getting the test done with the aid of kerosene is a quick fix - think you call it "bodge"

The "best practice" would probably be to fit new injectors and get the injection pump settings correct, as suggested above.

Guest WALFY

When in the arctic the military use kero in some items of plant, to make it easier to burn the fuel. It does make it run a litttle bit hotter, so in this case if it burns hotter it should burn better. HTH