Hydraulic Winch Systems

MickMac

I'm trying to improve the hydraulic winch system I recently fitted to my motor and was wondering what everybody else was running by way of pump cc, motor cc and winch make and model.

At the moment I've got a 25cc pump on a double vee-belt drive off the crank to an EM clutch but have a toothed belt and dog clutch waiting to go on. Hopefully this will let me raise the max system pressure closer to the 3000psi probably needed to get the torque up on the winches. The PRV is set at 2200psi at the moment which seems about the limit on the belts.

The winches are the 160cc Superwinch H8PN (6.5:1) on the front and the 50cc Warn Ser 9 (27:1) on the back.

Anybody tried 2 speed motors or pumps

post-2933-1178455661_thumb.jpg

Mick,

what you trying to achieve? by the looks of it you curretnly have a galtech pump- do you know what the part number is?

most galtech pumps like yours are only rated to a maximum of 2250psi so you are going to be pushing it to get it up to 3000psi- cavitation or stalling seems quite likely.

i'll get the figures and calcs for my setup when i'm next in work and post them up- they were properly calculated by a hydraulic supplier- in fact if you want good advice (especially in regards to galtech) then speak to richard renfree aat Rotec hydraulics in Taunton.

Jim

Just trying to get more speed and power as always.

The Pump is a Casappa PLP20-25 (26cc, 170bar cont, 190bar int, 210bar peak). Having reminded myself of that I'll probably re-set the PRV for only about 2700psi to try to preserve the pump. Shuttle valves control the winches so there's fair bit of control anyway.

I like the sound of the two speed motors, could be the best of both worlds but expensive. I was quoted £500 and would have needed to rig up a valved drain back to the tank to control it. A bit of web research found an automatic one that seems to work from an adjustable pressure switch but struggling to find a supplier to give a price

The 3000psi idea came from hearing that the type R guys have to run at that pressure to get the torque out of the MM (6:1) when it's fitted with the 100cc motor to give the speed. The Superwinch is close with the gearing so was going to try it with a 125cc motor to get the speed up but will have to up the current pressure to maintain torque. The superwinch has a 3.5" dia drum and the MM's is 2.5", so 125cc will give the roughly the same speed/torque as the 100cc on the MM

I'll give Rotec Hydraulics a call on Tuesday

Thanks Fridgefreezer

It makes sense to upgrade the pump rather than two motors, does look expensive either way though. Do you know anyone running the V V pump set-up?

I'll look into the costs and mods needed. Fried my feeble brain trying to work out which one I needed from the specs in the catalogue so I guess I'll need to get a hydraulics grown-up to tell me.

No-one I know is running a fancy pump, I just spotted them in the hydro catalogue and asked for a price - was quoted £700 for one from Hyphose but that was taking a random guess at the specs so what you need could well be cheaper ('cos the big ones are mahoosive), especially from a known pump supplier (I don't think Hyphose are big into selling pumps/motors as their main business is hoses).

£700 sounds like a lot until you look at a twin-motor 8274 setup :ph34r: