Headlight legislation

pritch1

Just a quick one, does anyone know if i can use a serise 2 front panel on a 90, so the main headlights are not on the front of the wings or it is ilegal?

I cant remember if there is a reason why not so thought i better check.

Thanks matt

Just a quick one, does anyone know if i can use a serise 2 front panel on a 90, so the main headlights are not on the front of the wings or it is ilegal?

Thanks matt

Yes

I think from memory that the wing lights are there due to construction and Use regulation changes at that year point.

Therefore if you remove the lights from the 90 wings and shove them "A LA Series" on your 90 you'll be in trouble with both C&U and possibly at MOT time if the MOT tester knows what he is doing.

If however you leave your 90 lights and ADD the series ones that will be fine

HTH

Nige

I agree with Nige, moving the existing lights could invite problems from MOT/VOSA/Police, but adding additional headlights would be fine, depending on the engine in your 90 if there's space to move the front panel & radiator back to accomodate the Series front panel, then go for it, but IMHO it would look very unusual

Yes, they have to be within a certain distance of the edges of the vehicle after a certain date. (pre LR90)

If you need all the info I can have a look in the manual tomorrow at work.

Rich

Yes, they have to be within a certain distance of the edges of the vehicle after a certain date. (pre LR90)

If you need all the info I can have a look in the manual tomorrow at work.

Rich

If you could rich that would be brillant i am wanting to make some wings that V in toward the chassis so was thinking a serise 2 front would look good.

Maybe ill mount the lights in the wings again i just like the serise look.

Guest MJG

Thanks matt

I understand the positioning of the lights was originally changed to suit foreign markets (Australan IIRC) first then the UK one. Plenty of people have added the Series grill in addition to the 90 front and used the series headlights as additional spots.

This is indeed to meet specs regarding lght palcement. Also becuase the lights are recessed on a Series this can effect the angle at which both lights can be seen. Hence the Series IIa moving the lights to the front of both wings.

I'm pretty sure if you swap rather than add you will encounter probs - this is a bit like the number plate queston I asked in the forum a day or so ago - depends if you are spotted by some eagle eye traffic cop with nowt better to do.

so what about jeep headlights they are mounted inside the wings?

The lights fitted to a Jeep TJ are just within the limits of the law. Most of us who fit larger tyres and subsequently wider wheel arch flares stray into a legal grey area as the main concern of the Police is that the tyres are covered. They haven't yet got around to that level of measuring.

A couple of years ago Jeep brought out a variant with lockers etc as standard. They were available in Australia in right hand drive but never sold in the UK due to issues with the width of the flares

Guest MJG
so what about jeep headlights they are mounted inside the wings?

Because it's not about whether they are inside the wings as such but rather the distance the lights are from the edge of the vehicle. This is stated in C&U regs and the Series 1 & 2 would if being made new today not meet these regs.

The IIa and 3 would........

Just out of intrest do they measure from the edge of the body work excluding arch or from the edge of the vehicle (edge of tyre).

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1989/Uksi_19891796_en_1.htm) state the dipped beam headlamps must be no more than 400mm from the side of the vehicle.

You can't add extra dipped beam headlamps to your vehicle. In the case of a vehicle with three or more wheels having a maximum speed exceeding 25 mph first used on or after 1st April 1991, two and not more than two may be fitted .

If you fitted the inner lamps as main beams only, the outer edges of the main beams must not be closer to the side of the vehicle than the outer edges of the dipped-beam headlamps - so the outer lamps would have to be main beams as well, as they are now.

So ... You could rejig it so the outer ones are dipped and main, the inners main beam only

or

the outer ones are main beam only and the inners dipped and/or main beam only.

Cheers

Blippie