Touch up

For no apparent reason, the paint has flaked off a small area of the bulkhead on the trailing edge of the offside face of the front panel a few inches about the mirror. I don't know how best to tackle this so as to make an unobtrusive repair which will keep the dreaded rust away! In case it makes a difference, I have an '02 110 in what I think is Zambezi Silver (same colour as the Land Rover Experience vehicles).

Advice, please....

Many thanks,

Phil.

This is quite common on LR's. If you don't want to tackle it yourself try a local paint shop.

It's such a small patch I feel I should be able to tackle it but I'm nervous of making a very visible mess of it! I would be grateful for some guidance, I assume sanding down, priming and top-coating are involved but I don't know how to get the best results.

Cheers,

Phil.

speask friendly to a local paintshop WROKER, he'll probably do a bit on the side for some beer tokens, watch and learn for the first time.

Mr B, I haven't a picture, I can take one tomorrow when I get home.

Western, thanks for the link, there's some helpful stuff on that site.

Michael, you're probably right, watching someone who knows may be the best way to learn!

Thanks for your replies!

Phil.

Mr B, I haven't a picture, I can take one tomorrow when I get home.

Western, thanks for the link, there's some helpful stuff on that site.

Michael, you're probably right, watching someone who knows may be the best way to learn!

Thanks for your replies!

Phil.

Right, here's a picture of the offending area, as you can see it's small!

Phil.

post-153-1178814628_thumb.jpg

1. Rubdown to sound metal.

2. Prime (or if you are really fussy etch prime then primer-filler).

3. Colourcoat.

4. Lacquer.

Allow to harden a few weeks then polish.

As it sounds like you haven't got a compressor and spray gun, if you use aerosol (rather than one of the small brush / pencil type touch-ups available from your local LR dealer) you will obviously need to mask the surrounding area.

Hi Phil,

It will be Zambezi Silver at that age. If you use a touch up stick, leave it in the sun for a long time or put in hot water for 10 minutes, then shake well; it will be much easier to apply when warm.

I've have used hamerite krust to convert nasty rusty bits and then have painted straight on top and seems to work quite well; hamerite say no need to prime.

You can get away with a multitude of sins on the silver, which is I'm sure why LR experience use them.

Mark

Hi Phil,

It will be Zambezi Silver at that age. If you use a touch up stick, leave it in the sun for a long time or put in hot water for 10 minutes, then shake well; it will be much easier to apply when warm.

I've have used hamerite krust to convert nasty rusty bits and then have painted straight on top and seems to work quite well; hamerite say no need to prime.

You can get away with a multitude of sins on the silver, which is I'm sure why LR experience use them.

Mark

Thanks, both, to be candid Mark's approach seems more within my capabilities especially as I've nowhere indoors to work on the car and very little time!

I've got some Kurust somewhere, I'll try the dealer for a touch-up stick tomorrow and see how it goes. If it looks awful, I'll be back to Steve's post....

Cheers,

Phil.