Jate rings

Hi

I have just got a couple of Jate rings from Beam Ends (RRC3237) which look good. I thought I would be OK taking off the original tie down eye at the front and re-using that bolt to fit the rings on but it is too short. From what I can see I need a high tensile (8.8) galvanised M10 bolt about 150mm long. I need two of them but do not mind too much if I have to get a pack of 3 or 5 since spares never go entirely wrong.

Screfix do not go this big and that is where I usually get these things.

Any ideas where I am likely to get bolts like this?

Thanks and best wishes

Malcy

Afraid I cant help with sourcing the bolt but an 8.8 grade bolt is mild steel! High tensile is normally 10.9 or higher. All soc head bolts are 10.9 grade

8.8 is high tensile and what you'll normally find on the shelf it's also detailed in the ALRC rule book and I daresay the MSA Bluebook also. They would also be the standard grade bolt/nut supplied with any recovery point (ask me how I know ;) ) and are also used extensivly on agricultural equipment.

mine came with bolts.

Can't Beam Ends help?

If I recall the part number correctly, you've bought the Genuine Parts rings in which case you could just go to your local Land Rover dealer and buy the bolts, nuts and washers which they should be able to identify for you. I bought my JATE rings from my local dealer and they came as a kit with the fixings.

Best regards,

Phil.

Hi

I have just got a couple of Jate rings from Beam Ends (RRC3237) which look good. I thought I would be OK taking off the original tie down eye at the front and re-using that bolt to fit the rings on but it is too short. From what I can see I need a high tensile (8.8) galvanised M10 bolt about 150mm long. I need two of them but do not mind too much if I have to get a pack of 3 or 5 since spares never go entirely wrong.

Screfix do not go this big and that is where I usually get these things.

Any ideas where I am likely to get bolts like this?

Thanks and best wishes

Malcy

How much did you pay for the Jate rings? Sounds not too good if they didn't come with any fixing bolts (all of mine did).

I would suspect most of the online suppliers should be able to supply the bolts, try Paddock Spares or Famous Four or First For Off Road.

Failing that an agricultural equipement supplier might be you easiest bet, I go to place called Browns who are Massy Ferguason (sp?) dealers and they sell bolts individually and all sorts of other machinary related items.

8.8 is high tensile and what you'll normally find on the shelf it's also detailed in the ALRC rule book and I daresay the MSA Bluebook also. They would also be the standard grade bolt/nut supplied with any recovery point (ask me how I know ;) ) and are also used extensivly on agricultural equipment.

Oops You learn something new every day I was lead to believe 8.8 was std engineering strength and any thing higher was high tensile :o ohh and the world is flat :lol:

Thanks guys. I will try following up suggestions and might do a search on Beam Ends. The rings were £10 each plus VAT and appear to be Britpart - GI66657 corresponding to RRC3237.

It did just strike me I could go to local LR dealer - but never think of them which may be me being silly.

Thanks for clarification that 8.8 is what is needed - I had checked a few others after the re-chassis and all the bolts they fitted were 8.8 so I reckoned/hoped that was right.

Will get them fitted eventually - thought I was on to a quick win - some hope!!

All best wishes

Malcy

Oops You learn something new every day I was lead to believe 8.8 was std engineering strength and any thing higher was high tensile :o ohh and the world is flat :lol:

Well I guess exact terminology and the terminology used by jo-public might be different. However everyone I know calls 8.8 high tensile but whether it strictly is I don't know. But to get any higher you'd probably need to go to an engineering shop or something, I've never seen them on the shelf anyhow.

Thanks Les

Sadly no Wessex Fasteners up here. Did a Google just in case but seems Edinburgh is a bit too far from Swindon for them.

I will see if I can find somewhere locally - there must be somebody does something like this.

Thanks for suggestions

Malcy

Thanks Western

Nothing on Paddocks, Beam Ends or Buckley Brothers who are the people I have used previously so I guess it is a case of finding the main dealer. Always looks a bit poncey for me when I go past.

At least I have the part numbers now so thanks for that.

I already have M10 nyloc nuts (a la Screwfix) - will they do or am I best getting the nut with the bolt in case it is an odd thread?

Malcy

Thanks Western

Nothing on Paddocks

You'd need to phone them, they sell a lot of fasterns and such which they simply don't bother to list on their website.

I already have M10 nyloc nuts (a la Screwfix) - will they do or am I best getting the nut with the bolt in case it is an odd thread?

Malcy

technically you should use at least 8.8 high tensile nuts as well, if you compete in a MSA/ALRC competition this would be part of the regs, however I doubt anyone would ever check the nuts.

To learn more about nuts and bolts than you thought possible read this tech article by BillaVista :)

Billa Vistsa tech

Cheers

Steve