110 CrewCab back options

Ozyboy

Thinking of buying a 110 Crew Cab, only way the Mrs will drive it is if it has either no back cover (can't leave anything in it) or with a tailored fibreglass back (body coloured). ;)

Now for the question. Anybody got experience of what options and why. i.e. truckman, carryboy, others??? .....

Also, i think i have seen photo's of a DC with fibreglass top, and a 90/110 style 1 piece rear door (That would be my ideal) but alas, can't think or find on the web anything about this option.

Any of you knowledgeable on this subject?? :D

Cheers

Oz

My Friend Earl [on here] has just bought a 110DC & fitted a Truckman glassfibre rear cover to the loadbay, his is finished in white with a lift up rear door [similar to older 109 hardtops].

found the LR 110DC brochure http://www.truckman.co.uk/media/LandRover4pp.pdf :D Ade [Earl] top is on 2nd page top right, I've seen it & it looked well made & is a good fit :D

My Friend Earl [on here] has just bought a 110DC & fitted a Truckman glassfibre rear cover to the loadbay, his is finished in white with a lift up rear door [similar to older 109 hardtops].

found the LR 110DC brochure http://www.truckman.co.uk/media/LandRover4pp.pdf :D Ade [Earl] top is on 2nd page top right, I've seen it & it looked well made & is a good fit :D

Top job, thanks very much. Any ideas how water tight it is??? Did he do lots of research into option, or is it a case of Ifor Williams, or Truckman??

Also, anyone else seen anything different,

Cheers

Ozy

the cab end has a fully closed panel with a glass window in it that almost matches the cab rear window, the complete top is fully waterproof as far as I'm aware, the 110 had a standard tilt on it only other choice was the Ifor galvy top, he didn't want those as the tilt isn't secure & the Ifor makes it look like a farm wagon. rear lift up door is lockable too.

post-264-1179037325_thumb.jpgpost-264-1179037394_thumb.jpgThere's a SouthAfrican company making the Alu-Cab for LandRovers http://www.alu-cab.co.za/vehicles.html

I took a good look at their designs and though I could make one myself....so I did!

2mm aluminium tread plate, 60 x 40 ally box section and a few bits & bobs from around the Sharjah back streets. I bought some of the AL75 DIY aluminium welding wire from Billing and put it to good use in tacking the frame together. Once the frame was complete I had a mate TIG it all properly.

The side compartments hold all of my recovery gear in one side and the other has the waffle boards. Total price was about 200 quid for materials and a couple of months of occasional weekends.

I love it!

Streaky, is your 130 a Dutch market [129] with the normal 110 stlye reare body or did you build it like that ?

UK 130's use the hi-capacity rear body, yours just looks very tidy.

I have absolutly no idea Ralph! I know it had a hard life running the rig roads in Oman before I bought it 5 years ago. Since then I've put in a brand new 4.6Efi, Santana box, Quaife diffs and half shafts, twin Aircon for front and rear seats, full length roll cage, HD suspension from OME, QT arms back and front, new 130 rims courtacy of Britpart, three fuel tanks ...the list goes on and on.

The tub is typical of the non-hi-cap design. The rear is decked out with ally tread plate, draws on slide out rails etc. 130's are few and far between in the Middle East. We see the occasional TD5 one and purely by coincidence I saw a 6x6 130 at the airport today! He was going the other way and didn't see me....I was waving like a pillock!

I also made one of these rear aluminium cabs for my mates 110 twincab...he sold the car about two weeks after I'd finished it! I wish he'd have let me buy it back from him....

Most of the time, running as a pick up is OK, but camping trips will need a good volume of safe dry storage space...

Off to look at a fibreglass top fitted to a DCPU over the weekend.

thnaks for oll the pointers.

Ozy

Do you need all the space?

Why not just make a load bay lid. Saw one like that

and thought it looked very smart. No pictures I'm afraid.

I bought my 130 purely as a Rally support vehicle for Team Saluki....hence I need the space for wheels, gearboxes, tools, jerry cans etc. It had to be robust for pulling all the spares through the desert.

The 130 also shares some specialized parts that incase of emergency can be transferred over to the racer.

The 110 Saluki has now unfortnatly been sold to a couple fo brothers in Canada who intend competing in the Californian Baja events. Marks bought himslef a 2WD buggy for the new season. Honda 6V engine, cross cut dog box and Fox shocks blah blah blah.

I've seen those flush fitting tonnau covers also at Billing....They provide good rear view vision...but why bother? The storage area becomes tiny when you put that on.

Trojan do a nice rear cab. Vince Cocley has one on his 110 twin-cab. Like mine...it has the side storage compartments that allow for quick access to recovery gear and brew-up stuff.

Regards.

S.

They look the B*******ks :rolleyes:

Much better option than the other versions. Specially like the standard rear side opening door.

Top job guys, appreciate it.

Ozy

Anyone got any pics of cobleys truck or web address for trojan???