Sankey shock absorbers

BogMonster

I haven't looked because my Sankey is parked in an inconvenient place at the moment...

...so does anybody happen to know if any of the standard LR shock absorbers fit a Sankey trailer and if so which ones?

mine is a bit bouncy and I wondered if I could do a cheap/easy "upgrade" or whether they are completely different to anything else?

It is the basic (3/4 ton?) one with no tailboard (well it has now, but it didn't have before it said hello to my grinder :D )

I haven't looked because my Sankey is parked in an inconvenient place at the moment...

...so does anybody happen to know if any of the standard LR shock absorbers fit a Sankey trailer and if so which ones?

mine is a bit bouncy and I wondered if I could do a cheap/easy "upgrade" or whether they are completely different to anything else?

It is the basic (3/4 ton?) one with no tailboard (well it has now, but it didn't have before it said hello to my grinder :D )

We picked up a 3/4 sankey this week end, and i jsut happened to offer up a series front shock. they look very similar.

Guest diesel_jim

My wide track one looks like they're 90 rear shocks on it... with an "eye" top mount and "pin" bottom mount.

i compared them to my old 110 rear and they were shorter, but maybe 90 ones are a little smaller (my 90 has OME jobbies which are bigger anyway)

my springs are ruste dinto a solid lump, i've got one off, just got to strip the other and free the leaves apart... are your springs OK? maybe thats why yours is so bouncy.. the tyres are doing the absorbing instead of the springs? :unsure:

They aren't same as series shocks and after extensive research at a local truck parts place in Medway we unable to come up with a match (if they can't find it I don't who would, they located a master cylinder for my Rapier trailer). Mate who was after them found a couple of good second hand ones so didn't search any further.

They aren't same as series shocks and after extensive research at a local truck parts place in Medway we unable to come up with a match (if they can't find it I don't who would, they located a master cylinder for my Rapier trailer). Mate who was after them found a couple of good second hand ones so didn't search any further.

B*gger. I think mine have an eye on each end and I hoped maybe a Series one will fit. Will have to have a look under mine next weekend and double check the fittings. It is the bog standard narrow track model of trailer with no tailgate - the most common variant.

When you say you couldn't come up with a match, was a Series one close enough to use? I'm not fussed about it being identical as long as it works :)

Don't think it is the springs as I have found that with 1.5 tons of aggregate in it sits quite a bit lower than normal so they seem to be moving :ph34r: after that (a couple of years ago) I brushed a lot of old engine oil onto the leaves to try and stop them seizing up so I think they should be OK.

Laden it is not too bad, it is empty that it bounces a lot on potholes so maybe it is just having a light body on what are some fairly heavy duty leaf springs.

Guest diesel_jim
Laden it is not too bad, it is empty that it bounces a lot on potholes so maybe it is just having a light body on what are some fairly heavy duty leaf springs.

i remember years back seeing a program on TV about the military treailers, and they were studying/experimenting with having a huge flywheel/fan thing underneath the trailer, powered by the wheels, so that when the trailer bounces and lands, the wheels are still going round (although i can't see that they would slow down that much in the second or so they're airborne)

apparently it was to save on tyre wear! :rolleyes: (so when they land they don't "skid" as they catch up with the speed of the towing vehicle)

i remember years back seeing a program on TV about the military treailers, and they were studying/experimenting with having a huge flywheel/fan thing underneath the trailer, powered by the wheels, so that when the trailer bounces and lands, the wheels are still going round (although i can't see that they would slow down that much in the second or so they're airborne)

apparently it was to save on tyre wear! :rolleyes: (so when they land they don't "skid" as they catch up with the speed of the towing vehicle)

Hmm ... wonder how that would react with over-run brakes? :rolleyes: as you say though the wheels shouldn't slow down anyway so it would be a waste of time unless you were airborne for about 30 sec and by that time I would think tyre wear would be the least of your worries on landing :blink:

wouldn't be a problem on my Sankey though as the reason it was cast was that the brakes were jammed on and, erm, shall we say I did not spend much time or money on repairs before I towed it out of the cast park :ph34r: